Roatan- Shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not much shore diving at AKR. They do have a lagoon, that is about it. Nice dive resort though. If you want the shore diving capital of the Bay Islands, go to Coco View. Fantasy Island is a good second choice with vastly superior food, nicer rooms and lower prices.

AKR offers 2 "shore" dives - one in the lagoon (don't waste your time on it) and dive out on the back side of the Key. Like many at AKR, I did the lagoon dive, was unimpressed, and therefore decided to skip the other shore dive, figuring it couldn't possibly compare to the boat diving or the CoCoView shore diving. This past trip, however, I vowed that I would finally forgo a happy hours and check out the Key shore dive. And boy am I glad I did. First of all, next to no one dives it, so it's in great shape. Once you get out to the sandy bottom area (25' - 55'), you will have a continuous thick line of huge coral heads to explore and more nooks and cranies to carefully swim into & explore than anywhere else that AKR hits on its boat dives. Obviously not as dramatic as the swim throughs in the 100' walls on the west side, but many more and just as much fun. Fish life does not compare with the boat dives, but it certainly was plentiful and diverse. I did see some fish and worms on the shore dive that I did not see on any of the boat dives. Okay, it wasn't the CCV wall, the CCV shore wreck dive (although I for one wasn't overwhelmed by that), or the shore dives that are actually closer to Fantasy Island (which I prefered to the CCV wall), but it was, IMO, an awful lot of fun and better than some warm water boat diving I've been on! Skip the Monkey LaLas or the Frangipanis and hit the shore dive a few times - you'll be glad you did!

isn't the shore diving from fantasy island and coco the exact same? just wondering since you say fantasy island is a good second. everything else you list seems to speak in favor of fantasy island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom