YMCA SLAM vs PADI Rescue Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did the course we started with a 2 to 3 hour pool session on Saturday morning. Then around a 3 hour lecture on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning we did a 2 hour open water session. Each student did a single recovery from the bottom with a tow into shore while simulating rescue breathing and removing gear. One turn as rescuer, one turn as victim. I don't remember but I think the exam followed the open water session. Finally DAN O2 provider and first aid in the afternoon.

Ralph

What were the pre-rec's for the course. Number of dives in particular. Reasion being is that I have a nitrox student that is flashing his SLAM card about. I invited him for a fun dive on me while I checked out open water students.My open water students on their first open water dive performed better than the nitrox student and had to have my divemaster take him back to shore.

He claims he has four log books filled but lost them when he moved.I have reasion to believe that these log books were all 2 pages each.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I just took a YMCA SLAM course this past May -- I took this over 2 days with other courses at the same time -- CPR, Y-med/First Aid, DAN O^2....so I may get some of the details and order mixed up, but here goes.

The first day of the course we spent in the pool and classroom. In the pool we didn't have a surface swim test but had to do a 50 foot underwater swim (mask, no fins). We also had to tread water for 5-10 minutes, I forget exactly how long.

Next was basic lifesaving skills, discussing the preference (as with lifeguards) of not entering the water if not needed. We briefly discussed rescue equipment available on most boats/shorelines and practiced use of a life ring with rope.

We then donned our gear and worked on various victim tows, including a gear/tank tow and dos-i-do while performing CPR/rescue breathing. We practiced getting the victim out of their gear in prep for getting them on shore. We also practiced out of air emergencies -- you started across the pool from your buddy (opposite ends of pool horizontally). We singaled OOA, made the swim across the pool with reg out (exhaling continuously, of course), and then shared air while swimming back across the pool before surfacing.

Next, we worked on victim rescue techniques, both for conscious victims on the surface and for unconscious victims on the bottom -- how to approach (and avoiding becoming a victim yourself), how to surface safely, getting them buoyant (dropping weightbelt/inflating BC) and then towing, etc. All very useful

After breaking for lunch, we were in the classroom for the rest of day. We spent some of the time discussing stress/potential victim identification. The rest of the afternoon was spent on first aid topics.

On Sunday, we spent the better part of the morning doing our ocean OW rescue dives. This involved 2 portions -- first, we had to locate and surface an unconscious victim off of the bottom (the instructor). After getting them buoyant, we had to tow them about 100 yards back to shore while rescue breathing, and get their gear off in preparation for evacuation from the water once we reached shore.

The rest of the afternoon was spent back in the classroom learning CPR (adult and child), DAN O^2 and various first aid techniques.

All in all it was a good class. The OW portion could have been more rigorous I thought -- more time should have been spent on search techniques when you don't know where the victim is. Still, I found it to be a helpful course.

BTW -- I took this with the same instructors that Ralph did.

As for prereqs -- I think it was 15 OW dives.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Ron,

It sounds like either your student had a poor instructor prior to coming to you (they exist in all agencies) or he has forgotten what he learned.

From the manual......

Prerequisites for SLAM are:

1. Age 15 or older
2. Completed medical questionnaire
3. Statement of understanding/Waiver
4. Advanced rating or 10 logged dives after OW certification
5. CPR

Corequisites are:

1. First Aid
2. Oxygen provider.

Required lectures:

1. Cognizance of diving accidents (victim detection)
2. Assessment of diving accidents
3. Rescue techniques
4. Evacuation and support proceedures

Required pool training:

1. 300 yd swim
2. 15 minute tred/float
3. 50 feet underwater swim
4. Extensions
5. Approaches
6. Lifesaving & Lifequard swim skills
7. Stabilization of a surface victim
8. Contact & handling of a stationary submerged victim
9. Descent arrests
10. Ascent arrests
11. OOA Emergencies
12. Retrieval & stabilization of unconscious submerged victim
13. Tows
14. Mouth to mouth rescue breathing (simulated)
15. Mouth to snorkel rescue breathing (simulated)
16. Water egress

Required open water training:

1. Detailed predive briefing
2. Rescues
3. Transporting victim and water egress
4. Evacuation

80% or better (counseled to 100%) closed book examination.

I hope this helps.

WWW™

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom