Recent rains affect on the Wacissa?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonofasailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This might be a long shot, given the fact that the Wacissa is not a heavily visited site. Does anyone know how rain affects the vis, and more importantly the river levels of the Wacissa? I am looking to dive big blue and take a peek at cassidy this weekend but not sure how it is going to look. I think that the runoff will affect the vis in the basin of big blue but I not sure if the actual cave gets milky, say like JB after a bunch of rain. Anyone wanna comment?

I will probably go either way, at the least I will get a cool kayak trip out of it.

JB has the benefit of being flood controlled by a dam, most sites don't have this and are left up to Mother Nature to flood... or not. That being said, I have no idea on the levels at the Wacissa, might try PM'ing jviehe as he's about the only one that I know who makes somewhat regular trips out there(atleast one a year?).

I'm probably gonna give the Wacissa a try sometime this year as well, I know there's line at a few sites.

Wacissa can definetly get blown out with too much rain, but its real hard to tell without going there. The river doesnt flood and back up, but rather the spring itself starts spewing out brown water.

Answer is YES. I went by yesterday, water level is up a couple feet, very dark water at the headspring. Big Blue might be clear given it outflows, but I doubt it. Will post pics later.

I cant find a datacable for my phone, alas.

Ok, heres a pic.

Attachments

• 0415091817-02.jpg
    0415091817-02.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom