http://www.diveheart.org/

Journey to the Center of the Trash Vortex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everyone,

This post has been here for 5 days now, viewed 30 times, yet not one single person has even bothered to make a comment. I find that quite disappointing to say the least. Is that indicative of the worlds view on this problem? Are we stuck with it? Are we just going to continue to pollute the seas and not worry about the consequences? Is anyone going to try to make a difference like Scuba Drew? Does anyone want to contribute money to the cause? That's why this post is here, to establish a discussion and work towards a solution. If you're reading this (or have read this) you have to ask yourself "What can I do to help?" or you can just blow it off. It's your choice.

The oceans we love so much are becoming very polluted. The fish population in Maui is dangerously low. What will it be like in just a few more years? I have been diving weekly (nearly daily) for the last 24 years (next week I will log my 3,600th dive on Maui) and I can tell you without any doubt in my mind that there are nowhere near as many fish or eels now as when I began diving here in 1997. Many species are simply no longer seen on my dives. They are gone. Do you think they will suddenly reappear? I don't think so. We need to change our thinking and habits and start protecting this massive resource before it's too late. Start by helping Scuba Drew with his mission. Start by using reusable bags when you shop. Start be spreading the word. There you go... three easy things that everyone could do. Will you do anything? I have. It feels good.

I've seen this publicized a couple of years ago and am curious as to what sorts of steps are being done/can be done to clean up what's already out there?

Is prevention the only action step, or can one also remediate what's already been done? Catch it before it degrades further, etc.

Can one trawl for this stuff and take it back to land to recycle? I think there'd be a lot of interest in something like that.

Last edited:
Its a great shame that the so called modern world is responsibly for creating this problem and is full of talk about what to do about it! Why cant governments simply ban plastic bags or at least have good collection facilities where they can be disposed of by private industry! Here in the Philippines plastic bags are boiled up with Kerrosene to create a thick paste, when it cools it becomes floor wax! The leading countries can learn lots from the "developing Countries" as re cycling is a way of life ut here!

I'm happy to say that a few of our cities have either banned one-use plastic bags, or mandated a charge for them.

There are also some places that are looking into re-usable containers for take-out food.

Baby steps.

Always good to bring this to our attention again. Look forward to hearing more.

I've always considered myself an environmentalist (you know, a kelp hugger). I taught classes on the environment, taught at the first Earth Day in 1970, have always tried to do the right thing... yet I, too, take my groceries home in plastic bags even though re-usable bags are available. Shame on me. At least I bundle all of them and take them down o the store I get them from for recycling. Still...

Gen San Chris- interesting use of the plastic bags. I agree that we could learn much from the "developing world..." they often find unique cost-effective solutions that we are just too lazy to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom