Jackson Blue 4-10-9 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Kevin Carlisle at the I-10 exit and we loaded up my dive gear into his truck Thursday afternoon and headed East. Sally's made for a great meal, as always, and gave us a good little break in the drive before hitting up Marianna for the night. Friday morning came early, and we were able to sleep in till 7AM since we came out the night before and it was well worth it. McDonalds(we signed in at the Sheriff's Dept first) has a buy one get one free McMuffin deal right now, which we took advantage of before hitting up Cave Adventurers for some fresh fills. Gordon got us back on the road in no time and we were at Blue Springs Park.

Good Friday, a holiday weekend, blue skies and warm tempertures and most of the caves out East are flooded(or will be soon). All this, and we had the park to ourselves, and that wouldn't change all day. It was suprising, but welcomed. The water was high, but from the surface, noticably clearer from last Saturday. Still a very copious boil along the surface that a stiff south wind couldn't hide.

JB674.jpg

We hit the water and Kevin tied in with the primary and led the way to the goldline, where he tied in and we continued on. Flow was strong and easiest progress was made by carefully picking your path where you can pull and glide along the cave. The sand at the bottom of the chimney constantly stirred from the waters pushing through and up into the cavern area. Once at the bottom of the chimney, in the main passage, progress was slow and we were just shy of chickenhead rock, a little further than the first breakdown, when we turned our dive. The ride out was easy. Just let go, and you get shot out. Care had to be given coming out the chimney so you didn't get shot upwards, risking an embolism. Exitting the cavern was a bit more controlled as the flow was more dissapated. We left the reel in for our next dive and did a 3 minute stop before exitting after a dive with a max depth of 96' for 32 minutes.

Congratulations Kevin, on your 200th dive!

Kevin200677.jpg

We spent a little better than 2 hours on the surface, just talking about diving, suprised at the lack of anyone else diving on such a great day! Once back in the water, we were able to set our attention straight into the cave as the reel was already in place. We progressed about 600'p in this time around, a little further than chickenhead rock, when we turned the dive. Again, exitting the main passage was quick! The cavern was relaxing and Kevin pulled the reel on this dive and we sat out on the ledge just inside the cavern for another safety stop before exitting after another dive to 96' for 32 minutes(mimmicking our first dive, but with a little longer penetration). On our exit, a plane buzzed the pond and titled its wings at us a few times, letting us know Edd Sorenson was back in town. He continued on down the pond to buzz his house, probably to make sure Gordon was still awake - LOL.

Nearly two hours later, we were back in the water, for one last dive. This time we would just be doing a glorified cavern dive. I ran a longer jump spool from OW back to the goldline and we headed to the bottom of the breakdown in the cavern(on the east side). I pointed out the end of one of the jump lines visible from a smallish hole that connects the cavern to this lower passage. Then we headed to the back of the cavern where we looked at the water sampling equipment and Kevin saw a part of the Goodman Circuit that extends into the back of the main cavern chamber. After that we spent lots of time looking at the fossils embedded in the walls, ceilings, floor, and breakdown pretty much everywhere. We poked in and out of any nook and cranny we could find until the dive was called. I spooled back into the cavern for another safety before exitting with a max depth of 57' for a dive lasting 51 minutes. This was my favorite dive of the day, simply relaxing!

We zipped back over to Edds after gearing down and packing up, payed up, BS'd a bit(its mandatory), then headed into Marianna for some grub. We hit up Old Mexico, one of my favorites and the place was packed out. The food was excellent and filling and we headed back home, talked cave diving the entire time. The trip went by quickly! Always a good time diving with some awesome buddies, looking forward to next time!

Dang Mat...got to hit JB again! What was your quote from last weekend....Everyday is a Saturday!!!:D

I almost drove to Vortex today just to tune my sidemount gear some more...but talked myself out of it and decided to do some work instead. Guess you can see what my mind is on since I am doing this at work!! (Before anyone says something about stealing time from my boss...I work for myself...well, I am married so we KNOW who the boss is!)

Do you think visibility was a little worse then last week in JB. You said the basin seemed clearer but sounds like the cavern/cave might have been a little more stirred up???

I didn't dive it last weekend, so I couldn't say for sure. OW was definately cleaner. Kevin said the visibility was better than last weekend, but our views on what the visibility was differ. I call it 30', he called it more, something like 40-50'. I'm pretty confident it wasn't 50' by any means as you couldn't make out Chickenhead from the top of the first breakdown. It was difficult enough to see the far end of the room in the tall area at the bottom of the chimney.

Great report Mat.. Great dives and I have the sore fingertips to prove it.. It was a great day of diving and I had a blast Mat. Glen the viz was better than what it was on Monday. I dove it twice Monday and the viz was better but the flow seemed to be even worse that it was Monday.

Ya'll let me know if You do this or any good cave dives during the week, I might be able to brake away :wink:

Ya'll let me know if You do this or any good cave dives during the week, I might be able to brake away :wink:

Gary, I'm always up for a day at JB if you want to escape the grind for a day :) We can even bring my inflatable out if you want to hit Hole or Twin.

Great report as usual!

Gongrats Kevin on your 200th!!! I need to align one of my trips so that I can dive with you.

Mat, I talked my wife into getting a 24w can light, woooooooooo! We just gotta get the guy to finish up payments on the boat.

My next trip will likely be demo day, May 2nd.

Looking forward to whenever the next dives will be!

Mat, I talked my wife into getting a 24w can light, woooooooooo! We just gotta get the guy to finish up payments on the boat.

My next trip will likely be demo day, May 2nd.

Looking forward to whenever the next dives will be!

So how about May 2nd....do the three Musketeers want to dive then?? Maybe Ed will have the LED 1000 Dive Rite light by then. I was going up for Customer Appreciation day, but would be glad to make it an overnighter????

I'm game for the customer appreciation weekend! :D

Shagman, you gonna miss Spring-SpringFest?

Oops this is cmufieldhockey posting on mikie's computer! We dove job today and I thought the viz was closer to 50 feet with some screaming flow. Edd said normal for JB should be 160 milion gallons and its onle 130 million now. Brock let me play with his x-scooter.. man is that a smooth ride!

lol that's an awesome light josh! I'll most likely be working the first weekend in may :(

Back
Top Bottom