Clark Hill/Lake thurmond, Augusta, GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Nice dive today though the vis was low (+- 5'). 75 min dive. Fish life is picking up. We have had strong winds much of the week and a major storm event last night (hence low vis today). The lake is rising and there is only a small beach left at E. Dam. The lake is only about 4' from full pool. Water temps are also moderating a bit 57 -64 F. Looking forward to next week's dives.

DIVEPROF, When you say 57-64 degrees,is that surface or bottom temp?I have dove there several times in the summer,but not in early spring.Bottom temp was 62 last time I was there.Would you mind an extra diver to tag along sometime?

DIVEPROF, When you say 57-64 degrees,is that surface or bottom temp?I have dove there several times in the summer,but not in early spring.Bottom temp was 62 last time I was there.Would you mind an extra diver to tag along sometime?

The water temp was 64 at the surface, but below 15' was already in the upper 50s. 57 was the coldest temp (we dove relatively shallow 45' max depth). I'm sure it was even colder at depth. You are certainly welcome to join us. Other Dublin folk have joined us. Just give a shout(send PM) when you are able to come this way and I'll let you know our schedule.

There are several of us guys from Dublin that have dove with him. He knows his stuff and is a great guy to dive with.

I heared you can get to some depth near the dam? Do the do training here? And whats down there?

You can get to 90+ feet. It is dark down there. Near the dam is a ski boat and an airplane in about 30 feet. In deeper water is a rock ledge. Dive prof knows of other things. The fun of diving at the lake is not the same as the ocean. YOu do not see any bright colors; however it is still a lot of fun.

Hey 2 degrees, hope you can join us soon. Just climbed out of the pond. My coldest dive this weekend was 55 degrees at 97'. It is in the low 60's shallow. Vis is still poor - the shallows maybe 7', depth it drops to 4-5'. We have had a lot of water inflow and the lake has risen considerably in a relatively short amount of time (hence the low vis till it settles out). We are only 3.5' below full pool. You wouldn't recognize the E. Dam beach (what little there is left).

J Glenn 06,
The max depth (reached comfortably) is 125' at full pool. Not much to see there, but the 100' wall is nice. We have 3 "walls" (height about 15-20') with stumps on top and several ledges 4-5' with various rocks, crevises and what not. There is plenty to see (well, when the vis is good) for several dives. The plane is a Mitsubishi MU 2 (you can Google to see a photo). The fuel wing tank is at 82' (full pool) on a 0 degree heading off the nose of the plane. A line is just upslope a few feet off the nose of the tank and takes you to the 80' wall. Off the tail of the plane are two ropes. the one closest to the beach runs up the rocks of the dam to a depth of about 20' (easiest way to find the plane is to swim out along the rocks of the dam at about 20-25' until you hit this rope and follow it to the plane). The second rope (the one away from shore) leads you along the buoyancy course (pvc squares suspended off the bottom to swim through and practice buoyancy control) and leads to the ski boat which is positioned along the bottom edge of the rocks of the dam. We also have a great river dive when there has been no rain (not so good this week)

Every week the knee is getting stronger. I hope by the time the water clears up I will be back to 80% at least.

I am realy looking foward to going down the river. That was probably one of the best dives I have ever done. I loved the history.

Back
Top Bottom