Removing Rust from Dive Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divechk

Reaction score
So, I have a deep sea supply knife in a holder on my bc harness. It has rusted as I don't take it out of the holder after every dive after rinsing out my gear. Now it has rusted. I tried soaking it in vinegar, but it doesn't really seem to work, as the rust is still there.

What have folks done with normal household products to get rid of the rust? :confused:

Green scub pad and then coat the blade with some vegetable or olive oil. You'll need to recoat it regularily to prevent rusting. Vasoline lasts longer but makes the knife messy.

Naval Jelly is still the best rust remover imho.

I second the naval jelly.

Brush it on. Let it soak at bit. Wash it off. You might also try a bit of very fine steel wool.

After that, use a bit of oil.

White wine vinegar and warm water in 50:50 solution.
Leave for at least 24 hours.

If that does not work - dunk the knife in coca cola for 12 hours or so.

If that does not work, get a new knife:)

If the rusting comes off use a small coating of silicone grease on the knife to help inhibit rusting.

I have a small inexpensive Technisub knife on my BCD and it has lived there now around 5 years and to date I have never cleaned it, it gets swilled off along with the BCD but other than that, no special treatment at all!
If a knife starts to rust it will always rust, better to replace it!

I've used WD-40 with some success.
Spray the knife, let it sit for a few minutes, then use a kitchen scrubber/ sponge, then a paper towel.
After, spray a light coating of WD- 40, and let it dry.

This is a question that I often think about. How can I get ALL the rust off, even if it will expose the underlying metal, without scratching the knife/regulator/screwdriver/whatever.

I've heard Blue Gold Suggested, along with lots of other products.
What really works? Presently I use vinegar, but it only seems to loosen alot of rust, not dissolve it entirely.

You might also try a bit of very fine steel wool.

You should never use steel wool on a stainless blade. Small pieces of steel will embed themselves into the surface of the stainless and cause it to rust. Bronze wool or stainless wool may be acceptable but the best material to use is green Scotchbrite.

Use citric acid, as in a lemon, then give the knife a light coat of silicone. If this fails, and it won't but if it did, take it to the dive shop and have them put it in the ultra-sonic for a few minutes. You'll pay for this service but not as much as a new knife.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom