My daughter's other parents are going to Asingan, Pangasinan in September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
They're going to visit a son and family who now live there, and I've been asked for travel suggestions. I've never been to that side of the world so I am trying to be helpful in general, prudent ways. Here's the email draft I am working on for them if you'd like to review my suggestions and offer any? They both are of questionable health but manageable, and I'd rather risk dying on a trip than be afraid to go because of such. Thanks!! They are not going to read all of this I know, but I wanted to give them some ideas...

Long trip for only 4 real days to visit? Should be great tho. Take at least 2 cameras and lots of camera cards so you can shoot a thousand pics...!

The flight info looks well done, with longer layovers in DFW than in Tokyo - simple & efficient plan, should be some good movies and food on the plane but do dress very comfortably and stretch your legs now and then. I am sure that your son will take care of any needs while you are there. Should be great, but you should stay longer if possible. I will list some links for more information and a few odd suggestions...

Philippines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pangasinan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Asingan, Pangasinan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My favorite source for Trip Insurance: Buy Travel Insurance & Compare Travel Insurance Plans | TravelSafe
The main reason I take it is in case of medical or evacuation needs.

From the US Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)...
Health Information for Philippines | CDC Travelers' Health
It'd be good to discuss medical cautions with a local doctor knowledgeable about Asian travel, but there is a lot of good info there.

Philippines
None of the warnings have anything to do with the area where you will be visiting. The only real suggestion I might emphasize from that page would be...
The Department strongly encourages Americans in the Philippines to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Manila through the State Department's travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov. The U.S. Embassy is located at: 1201 Roxas Boulevard, Manila, Philippines, tel. 63-2-301-2000. The American Citizen Services (ACS) section's fax number is 63-2-301-2017 and the ACS web page is at American Citizen Services.​

Pangasinan Emergency Services: WOW Philippines :: Explore Philippines :: Emergency Service

Always good to review TSA regulations in detail TSA | Transportation Security Administration | U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Call American Airlines 1-800-433-7300 and ask for a number to Japan Airlines to discuss details on the phone, request special assistance possible desired, diabetic meals, whatever. Additionally request local phone numbers to the airlines you can use there, give them your contact information there, and inquire about check-in times.

DFW airport is quite easy to get around, and your using the same airline in & out of there. dfwairport.com - Terminals Agents will point you in the right direction.

Tokyo airport info and map JAL International Flights - NARITA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (Airport Guide)

You can get some serious weather at that time of year as it is the Typhoon season so that is worth a mention also! Tell them to drink only bottled water or the commercial drinks in order to avoid stomach problems!
I hope that they enjoy themselves!

I've got plenty of family in Pangasinan. Chris made 2 good points. For only 4 days of travel, they can check out 100 islands. It should be ok even if they're "questionable health but manageable". If they're not feeling adventurous, they can visit the Subic area. If they're Catholic there are lots of neat little churches they can visit.

I'm sure their son will pick them up from the airport. Make sure that they wear their seatbelts... :) The scenery is nice. The son should also be familiar about the ER services in his area.

Since they're a bit elder, make sure they're prudent with the mosquito repellant. Especially since it's typhoon season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom