Solo diving in Vortex Spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike001122

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if solo diving is allowed in Vortex Spring? I was wonderin cuz I was thinking about going with my camera and taking pics and don't want to have to worry about staying right by someone and don't want someone to have to follow me around while I follow fish snapping pics. I don't want to go around or in the caves. I just want to swim around taking pics around the deepest I'll be will around 30ft so if I have an air problem I will be able to swim to the top without problems. Do they allow this or is a dive buddy require for getting in the water there?

You can solo.

the K

I have no idea what the official policy is, but I've solo dived at Vortex and didn't run into any issues. Of course, I didn't make a big deal about it...just slipped into my gear and went for a dive.
Vortex is usually so busy in the summer (especially on the weekends) that I doubt anyone would even notice, to be honest.

Thanks for the replies. I glad to hear you can. I just didn't know if that when you pay and sign in if they ask who your dive buddy is. I just wanted to know before I made a long drive for nothing.

Unless you go during the week there is little use to take a camera in unless you go into the cavern or go very early in the morning. The spring mucks up pretty bad when tons of students are in there plowing the bottom.

If you're there on a weekend, you won't be solo, even if you go in the water without a buddy... :wink:

I've never had any problems, they pretty much let you do whatever you want. The water does get mucked up pretty fast, there are usually a lot of students on the weekends.You can get some great shots in the cave...I will be there this weekend 4/18 and 4/19. I'll be happy to watch your back if you want to go in.

Who's gonna watch yours? :shakehead:

That is a great place to solo dive if your gonna do it. I was there last Saturday, yes there were a lot of students, but the vis wasn't too bad. 25-30 ft I'd say. Post your pics so we can see how much fun you had!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom