Freedive fins for scubadiving spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

black1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, i use split fins for scuba and there ok, but, i just bought Cressi Gara HD2000 freedive fins for m y freedive sessions, was wondering if anyone here uses them for scuba spearing, i know a guy that uses them when scubadiving and he says there great for that extra thrust and was wondering your all opinions or if you actually use them for scuba and your thoughts, thanks all.

Alot of spearo's use the long fins and report positive results. In my experience, my SAC rates go up significantly when using them, but that's just me. My Atomic Splits are a nice balance of speed, SAC and ability to turn.

In the end, try different types of fins, even ask your LDS or others on the boat if you can switch with them for a dive and see if you like them better. What ever works the best for you is the perfect fin for you, and for others, they may like something else.

Johnoly may i ask why your SAC rate goes up, my thinking would be it would not because you would use less amount to propel through the water, curious.

I've used freediving fins with scuba gear and it works fine. Most people I see that use long fins for scuba are minimalists. Many down in Southern California do this for lobster diving. They use no BC and backpack dive with just a plastic pack or plate. The idea is that you want to cut as much drag as possible so we have our rigs stripped to the bone.. You will not see anybody around here using a jacket BC with freediving fins. Any type of bulk like baggy drysuits with large thigh pockets or big bulky BC that interferes with your slipstream will become a big negative with long fins and you will end up wearing yourself out and using more air. At that point you would be better off with splits or conventional scuba fins. In order to benefit from using freediving fins for scuba you have to be as streamlined as possible like a freediver except you're just adding minimal scuba gear.

Thanks ZKY, yes i use a transpac and small travel wing, very little else as far as drag, will try them for my next drift, for deep with pony i will stick to my split.

Johnoly may i ask why your SAC rate goes up, my thinking would be it would not because you would use less amount to propel through the water, curious.

For me, the longer fins take more energy to turn direction while chasing a fish. One other factor is the dive conditions that I dive in. I'm usually in a healthy current and need to zig zag alot to cover a great portion of the ocean. For diving in a no current enviroment, the long fins may be better.

In the last 2 months, I have broken a bunch of equipment and lost fish because of it. The most important part of spearfishing is to be 100% comfortable in the water so you can concentrate on your technique in stalking and catching the fish.

Thanks guys, yes i agree on the turning aspect and it is easy with split fins or sure.

I've been using long fins for scuba since the late seventies when they were still rubber, and the plastic combinations from Cressi, Esclapez, Mares, Sporasub & Biller ever since.

If you match the fin flex to your leg strength I find they are the best, for me and hundreds & hundreds of my customers. (My gas consumption is less than with other powerfins while achieving more cruising speed. Sure splitfins are easy, but...)

Most of us streamline our gear, but we also dive them with tech accessories, and they're still great. I've used them with doubles many times in OW.

I wear C4s for freediving now, and can feel the resistance on the blade side rails. Riffe plastic fins have them too. They would not be my choice for scuba. I'd stick with plastic blades like Cressi or other long fins, without the side rails; plenty of agility for tank diving.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom