Just Curious...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the biggest or deepest underwater cave in the world?

How would we know? :wink:

Seriously, I'd suspect that the underwater cave with the most *known* passage is Wakulla, since the deepest cave penetration ever has occurred there.

How deep was the penetration?

.....a quick google search comes up with Dean's Blue Hole in the Bahamas at 663 feet.

Don't know the exact numbers but Ox Bel Ha in the yucatan has over 300,000+ ft of explored passage which is quite a bit more than Wakulla. Mante is 800+ ft deep (cave in northern Mexico). Also Zacaton in northern Mexico which is really more of a pit but has a cave traverse to get to into it and is around 1000 feet deep I believe.
SLJ

mmm...I thought 663 feet seemed a bit shallow.

We're confusing terms. Specifically "deepest cave penetration."

There's deep, which is the vertical distance from the surface, and then there's penetration, which is the horizontal distance from the surface.

For instance, there was one dive in Mexico where we *penetrated* about half a mile, but the maximum *depth* was 16 feet.

Mexico currently holds the largest (in terms of penetration) cave, with the most explored passage.

Roak

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

Johnnythan, I know you are young and dont get out much, but DIR (the Hogarthian style of diving specifically) was around way before this dive...

Sorry to bust on your little parade...

First, it's jonnythan, thank you.

Second, it's my understanding that DIR, in its entirety (as done by the WKPP) was fully developed *at* Wakulla specifically for the record penetrations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom