Bahamas Liveaboard Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HuaGirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend and I would like to do a liveaboard in The Bahamas.

Any recommendations?

Now remember... We are divers, living the diving life, which means we are looking for something of a deal :wink: You know how it is! :cool2:

Thanks for your help!

Nekton - look at the Cay Sal Bank or Medio Reef itineraries.
www.nektoncruises.com
Not a fancy boat but they are built for diving.
All food is good and tons of it, you will never be hungry!
You won't see another boat or group of divers all week, the areas diving are far from any resorts, they are pristine and tons of fish and sharks in natural environment, not shark feeds.
Fun boat, big and roomy, all the hot water you can stand, and crew is fantastic and eager to please.
Best value in the Caribbean!

I have trip reports and videos and photos on my website of our trips on the Nekton. We have done both the itineraries I mentioned above and would do both again anytime!
robin:D

I've done LA out of both Nassau (AquaCat) and Georgetown (Explorer I). The diving in the southern Bahamas, i.e. Georgetown departure, is much better. San Sal was excellent (for Bahamas diving). The northern Bahamas have been hit hard by lionfish and overfishing. I did the AquaCat in 2006 and then again in 2008. BIG drop in fish life between trips.

Now the Explorer I is no longer operating, but is being replaced by another Explorer boat last I heard on a part time basis. But it's not going to be cheap.

The cheapest option is probably the Blackbeard (sister ship of AquaCat). I believe that it's been moved out of Nassau to Freeport. But that LA will operate in northern Bahamas as well. They also operate the Cat Ppalu. I don't know much about her. This is the link to AquaCat and can lead you to the others.

Aqua Cat Cruises:Bahamas liveaboard scuba diving cruises

PM me if you want more info.

I agree with Robint. Nekton is a great platform to dive from and both Cay Sal Bank or Medio Reef itineraries are good. I will again do one or both of them in 2010. Thinking about the night dives on Medio Reef is still puts a smile on my face.

If you are looking for a deal (most dives/dollar) Blackbeards is definitely your choice. But do your research, it's not for everyone. It's also not the most dives (at most 4/day). But the price can't be beat if it is "your thing."

I agree with Robint. Nekton is a great platform to dive from and both Cay Sal Bank or Medio Reef itineraries are good. I will again do one or both of them in 2010. Thinking about the night dives on Medio Reef is still puts a smile on my face.

X3-----Nekton. The itineraries listed, too.

Sweet! I will have to do some more research on these! I REALLY appreciate the suggestions! I do love the sharks... And not being around heaps of other divers is pretty fantastic too...

Will be going on our 4th Nekton this July. Its not fancy, but when you are doing nothing but dive, eat, and sleep, who cares?

I, who gets seasick on a sailboat in a lake, have ha great success with the Nekton.

If you could only do one of the two listed, which would you reccomend for someone's first LA trip??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom