Question: Canon G10 Macro Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyron

Dyron

These two ports made from Dyron can accept their macro and wide angle lenses. I too have the Ikelite G10 case and would love if there was a macro accessory lens manufactured for the original ike port. Sadly, there isn't anything on the market quite yet. Lets hope Ikelite comes out with something themselves.

I was also thinking about trying one of these out: ReefNet Inc. | SubSee Adapter I just worry it might create a blemish or scratch on the outerside of the port.

We don't have anything in the works as far as macro accessories for the G10 housing. Though I haven't used one underwater, the ReefNet adapter is probably one of the best solutions to a macro attachment without spending a ton of money and severely limiting your zoom range.

It is definitely the only possibility I am aware of that would be compatible with the housing's original port. I wouldn't worry too much about the set screws cosmetically damaging the outside of the port, and it will not scratch the glass front.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks Jean,
Please could I ask you why Ikelite chose to make such a wide diameter port for the G10? Is there a huge noticeable difference between the G10 housing and that of the G9 to warrant eliminating an M67 thread to take other wet lenses?
What is the difference between the field of view with the G10 and wide angle dome port compared with the G9 & the Inon UWL100 and wide angle port?
I was considering an upgrade from my G9 but not sure if it is any better? Hope you can help establish why it may be?

Many thanks
Paul

The ports we use are dictated by the angle of view of the camera. The G10 has a 28mm lens compared to the G9's 35mm wide angle. We had to open up the port diameter to eliminate vignetting at the widest angle setting of the G10 without limiting zoom range.

The size of the lens opening combined with the wide angle of view prevents the common external wide angle lenses to be used to any advantage. The Ikelite and Inon wouldn't even work well if actually touching the camera's lens, so a short port is out of the question.

Your effective angle of coverage underwater with G9 and Ikelite W20 is about 26mm at best. The G10 and WD4 provides 28mm angle of coverage. The biggest difference is the WD4 provides an exceptionally sharp image corner-to-corner, while external lens is likely to exhibit some softness at the edges.

More information on the WD4, as well as a detailed comparison of the angles of coverage (click "How?" in the last paragraph) can be found here:

WD-4 Wide Angle Dome for Canon G10

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

We've made M67 Adapters for the Ikelite Flat Ports that press on as custom parts. They aren't cheap, but if you want to use a macro lens they are your only option at the moment.

Ryan, can you give a more detailed description?
I have an order "processing" (#11731) in your system, may be I still have time to add the product you are talking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom