soft weight $ saver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bhapps24

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a 25 lb bag of lead shot from the local gun shop
for $15.00. The local shops are asking $2.20 lb for a bag of soft
weights. The only drawback is I will have to sew my own bag to
keep them in. Call the gun shop first not all carry it. The one in my
town that did has a lot of divers shopping there and knew just
what I was talking about.
See you in the water
Steve

You don't have to sew your own bags. You can get them at this site: Unfilled weight bags

(Disclaimer: this is my site so duly note that I am biased as to these being the best unfilled weight bags you can get.)

Oh and you can also get the lead a bit cheaper from the following website with which I am not affiliated. This link takes you directly to a 25 lbs bag of #6 chilled lead shot, perfect for filling scuba weight bags. wideners.com

tholt576 once bubbled...

Oh and you can also get the lead a bit cheaper from the following website with which I am not affiliated. This link takes you directly to a 25 lbs bag of #6 chilled lead shot, perfect for filling scuba weight bags. wideners.com

The problem with getting lead shot online is that your going to use the money you saved on shipping and freight charges seeing as it's so heavy. Your probaly better off buying the lead shot from your local gun shop.

vertaqua once bubbled...

The problem with getting lead shot online is that your going to use the money you saved on shipping and freight charges seeing as it's so heavy. Your probaly better off buying the lead shot from your local gun shop.

True, but it depends on where you live. Where I am wideners.com ships me a 25# bag for about $6. That plus the $12.50 for the shot makes it only $18.50 for a 25# bag. That's pretty good and I never have to leave my house.

tholt576 once bubbled...
You don't have to sew your own bags. You can get them at this site: Unfilled weight bags

(Disclaimer: this is my site so duly note that I am biased as to these being the best unfilled weight bags you can get.)

Ya know I was wondering about these the last time I saw the site. How well does the velcro seal hold up? Are their precautions you have to take into considersation when placing the weights? i.e. so the seam isn't exposed. Afterall it has potentially 5 lbs of force behind it. The last thing you'd want is to lose your load in mid dive..... Just curious...

I just got some weight bags from Tom last night. The velcro part is only a very tiny hole - about big enough to slide a quarter in, maybe. The rest is double stitched. Furthermore the velcro is about 3/4 of an inch wide.

As you know, velcro needs to be 'pulled' apart, it can't 'slide' apart (it has tremendous strength along the lateral axis. In fact, I heard they were thinking of making airplanes out of a velcro attachment.) There's no way to pull the velcro apart - you have to stick a funnel or pencil down in there just to force the velcro apart in order to fill them.

Good bags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom