Liveaboard hints and tips please??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lbhello

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi, i am going on my first livaboard next week (yippee :D ) but wanted to know if there are any 'rules' I should know about to avoid glares etc from my fellow divers? Any hints gratefully received.... thx

I'm sure others will post specific suggestions, but my comment is very general, as most suggestions will fall into this category.

Be considerate.

Space is at a premium. Be considerate of other people's space needs.

You are part of a group even if know no one else on the boat. Be considerate of other people's time, e.g. arrive at briefings on time, gear up on time.

Follow boat rules and procedures, whatever they are. Sometimes, if one person violates a rule it is no big deal, but if everyone does it, then it's a problem. But why should one person get to break the rules?

Never be afraid to ask the crew a question.

Enjoy the experience. It's contagious.

Here's my suggestions.

• Pack everything in soft luggage. You wont' be able to store hard bags onboard most likely
  • take ear plugs. boats are noisey.
  • get some alligator grip clothes pins. big ones with metal springs. these are to pin up towels so they won't blow away while the boat is under way and lots of wind. take 4 to 6 of them. You can get them at HomeDepot/Lowes. Best way to use them is to hang item over rail and then use clips to hold each side over rail together.
  • Take your own cup (coffee and/or drink). take an insulated one so that your drink stays hot/cold longer. otherwise you cup looks just like everyone elses on the table and you don't know who's belongs to who.
  • take a flashlight for your bunk. light switchs in bunking areas are rarely near the bunk or easy to reach
  • take a power strip or extention cord (with 3 outlet end) for charging items like camera batteries, etc. there are never enough outlets at charging areas.
  • take a plastic bin (plastic dish basin) to put under your seat. you can put your mask, gloves, lights, de-fog, sun lotions, etc and not worry about it rolling around. drill holes in it to allow for water to drain out.
  • take a safety sausage that can be inflated at depth/safety stop, reel/spool, AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT
  • make yourself you own "care kit". put in hydrocortizone cream for saltwater rash, duct tape, band aids, etc. you'll want it once you get on the boat and have to tape up a blister, etc.
  • replace your primary reg hose with miflex hoses. doing 5-6 dives a day the stiffer hoses will cause your reg to move around on your gums more and add to gum fatigue. a sea-cure mouthpiece will help with this also.
  • take a sweatshirt/pants to wear in the cabin area at night and in the morning. The AC unit will run full blast most of the time you're on the boat. during the day with the extra heat, and the doors being open a lot, a lot of the cooling will "escape" from the boat. at night, with cooler temps,etc it will "catch up" and trust me it will be much cooler in the boat.
  • Take extra batteries for EVERYTHING. Lights, dive computers, etc. put them in a ziplock bag to keep moisture off them.
  • Pack a "save a dive kit". there are whole threads on this board just on this....
  • take some blank CD's, DVD's or a large USB memory stick. Why? because often people load all their pics on one persons computer/laptop so that everyone can share. You can then get a copy of everyone's pics of your trip. Chances are that you'll be in some of the pics topside and below since you weren't the one taking them.

Hope all this helps...

Mike

hi, i am going on my first livaboard next week (yippee :D ) but wanted to know if there are any 'rules' I should know about to avoid glares etc from my fellow divers? Any hints gratefully received.... thx

It all depends on which liveaboard.... :D
I have been on one in Palau and a couple in Caribbean and they were very different in some respects.

Biggest things - pack 1/2 the clothes you think you will need and twice as many swimsuits. It is nice to change into a dry swimsuit for meals. :D
Don't take any shoes with you except the ones you wear on arrival day and departure day - you will be barefoot the rest of the time.
Most liveaboards have bins on the dive deck to store your misc stuff so I disagree with mike_s about taking one.
Take a save-a-dive kits with spare straps, computer battery, etc that fit YOUR gear. They have spares onboard but chances are not the one that you will need. Also take a spare mask. Every liveaboard I have been on, someone breaks or loses overboard a mask.
Take a hat and sunscreen, you will need them between dives.

AND Never do a dive if you aren't comfortable with it. Sit one out. No one will get mad or pressure you. I hate it when there is ripping current or some other factor and people all stand there looking at each other debating diving and how they will "look" to each other if they skip it. This has happened on every liveaboard trip I have done, too. Once one person says "I think I am going to sit this one out" all of a sudden several other people relax and admit they don't want to do it either. Don't let peer pressure affect your enjoyment or safety!

robin:D

Most liveaboards have bins on the dive deck to store your misc stuff so I disagree with mike_s about taking one.

5 liveaboard boats/trips I've been on and have never seen one on a boat...

so not all boats have them.

but yes I agree that some boats I've seen them in the pictures (on their websites) that they have on their dive deck (under the seats). But not all.

I got mine at Dollar General for a buck or two. It doesn't take up any room in your bag, you simply pack stuff around it and in it. If you don't use it, again, in your bag it takes up no room with stuff packed around it to leave it in your cabin. or use it in your cabin to put "loose stuff in".

Wear socks.

You can get lots of little scrapes/cuts being barefoot a week. Wear ankle sports socks - I wear them with dive boots and have found less rubbing from fins!

which liveaboard? While some ideas apply pretty much on all boats, others will be spot on for some, and make absolutely no sense on others.

I do suggest keeping a list and saving it for future trips. When you are on the boat you will find things you brought you didn't need, and things you wish you had. (Of course, this list won't apply all the time either but it can be a helpful reminder.)

I'd also suggest looking for some old threads on the subject, as this question has been covered many times before so you'll probably find a lot of good info.

Thanks all - this is great advice. I'm going on a reef clean-up week in the Northern Red Sea aboard the Blue Fin - v excited now :-D

My advice is similar to most above. After packing your clothes in your bag, take out half of them and put them back in your closet.
To avoid swim suit rashes have a dry swim suit for each dive. On the Odyssey I brought 5 swim suits and changed right away after the dive.
I used to be a magnet for ear infections, but I now use swim ear and take 600-800 mg of Advil per day. I haven't had a ear infection since.
Definitely stick to soft luggage.
Don't count on the boat to have spare parts. Bring a well stocked save a dive kit.
Do a detailed check list before you go. Make sure you have plenty of batteries and or chargers.
If your gear is getting close to being due for a servicing, take it in beforehand and get it done. You'll be doing a lot of diving in one week. It would be nice to not have to worry about your gear.
Hydrate hydrate hydrate, especially in warmer climates.
Drink as much water as you can.
Most importantly, have fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom