a present for my fiance - BCD / Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and desperately need assistance. My finace is taking up diving and i would like to buy a BCD/Regulator combo for her. Only problem is I am form the old school using my old Conshelf-14 and a bit out of touch with the new products we have on the market. My fiance agree to give up the engagement diamond ring in return for the BCD/Reg set. So this means, I got to make this whole thing look good. The local dive store here stock Scuba Pro,Tusa, Mares & Sherwood.

There is a promotion on ScubaPro Mk2/R190 Reg & Glide500 BCD for equivalent of US$618. Are these reasonable equipment bearing in mind? we expect to dive probably once a week in no more that 60ft depth (tropical & temperate waters).

That's a good sum of cash for that gear.

For a comparison, the same reg is $155 at leisurepro.com and you can get what most would consider to be a far superior BC (Dive Rite Transpac + Travel Wings) for $339.

You could upgrade to a ScubaPro MK16/S550 for another $100. This way, you'd get a far better BC and reg for less than what the dive shop wants to charge you for inferior equipment.

A lot of people aren't comfortable with internet sales, though. Leisurepro will give you full warranty coverage on any gear you purchase through them... the only risky part is that you might upset the LDS owner if he finds out you purchased gear elsewhere.

Anyway, the equipment you listed is reasonable, especially if you're doing your diving in warm waters.

I'd give her both the ring *and* the scuba gear, if I were you...

She can wear the ring everywhere for the rest of her life, and she can only use the scuba gear diving...

Get the best reg. you can find the first try out...Its her life support....

Congrats!

Sean

scubasean once bubbled...
I'd give her both the ring *and* the scuba gear, if I were you...

She can wear the ring everywhere for the rest of her life, and she can only use the scuba gear diving...

Absolutely agreed.

A transpac is definetly not a good option. Heard of the term keep it simple? That applies most to diving. Don't fall victim to the dive industry and get a jacket style BCD, and don't let people scare you into thinking a wing is only for tekkies. A wing is far superior than a jacket style BCD. Also the term "you get what you pay for" holds true to some (not all) diving equipment. BCDs like the DUI aurora wings are extremely excellent for women, as they have a special cut for women. Also, most wings work well for everyone as they do not restrict or push on the rib cages while inflated. This allows freedom of movement and breathing and greatly reduces the stress on a diver, not to mention superior buoyancy and trim.

Jacket style BCDs have only been brought out due to the market response that they looked too tech and too scary. Colors, pockets, Drings from every strap have added more problems than they advertise they will fix. As a result millions of people make a choice of BCD purchase on less than all the facts.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
A transpac is definetly not a good option. Heard of the term keep it simple? That applies most to diving. Don't fall victim to the dive industry and get a jacket style BCD, and don't let people scare you into thinking a wing is only for tekkies. A wing is far superior than a jacket style BCD. Also the term "you get what you pay for" holds true to some (not all) diving equipment. BCDs like the DUI aurora wings are extremely excellent for women, as they have a special cut for women. Also, most wings work well for everyone as they do not restrict or push on the rib cages while inflated. This allows freedom of movement and breathing and greatly reduces the stress on a diver, not to mention superior buoyancy and trim.

Jacket style BCDs have only been brought out due to the market response that they looked too tech and too scary. Colors, pockets, Drings from every strap have added more problems than they advertise they will fix. As a result millions of people make a choice of BCD purchase on less than all the facts.

You have no idea what a Transpac is, do you?

Don't listen to this guy.

I most certainly do as a matter of fact, and even tried one. I hated it. All the divers I know that used to have them now use the Explorer 55.

Stow it

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
I most certainly do as a matter of fact, and even tried one. I hated it. All the divers I know that used to have them now use the Explorer 55.

Stow it

You DO know that a Transpac is completely unlike a jacket BC, correct?

And how much does a new single tank Halcyon setup cost? I know, because I just bought one.

There is a thread devoted to this...Since that thread had significantly more folks likeing than disliking (I think there was only one person naysaying it) I bought one at LP, and it arrives Tuesday.

--Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom