S25 wing dump valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sailor612

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a reason the Hollis S25 wing inflator assembly does not have an "over the shoulder pull dump" like most BCs? Since i'm not really doing any technical work yet (but I LOVE THE SETUP!!) i find it somewhat annoying that you have to pull the inflator hose assembly out of the bungee (that holds it against the shoulder strap) to defate the wing if you decend in a head up orientation...also while doing assents...then slip it back into the bungee to keep it over your shoulder and always in the same spot

I wasn't sure if this was for technical reasons or what....

I love the setup....Other than the "hassle" of haviing to pull the inflator assembly out of the bungee to release some air!

I think the idea is minimizing failure points. By eliminating the complex inflator hose assembly and pull dump valve you remove a potential issue and replace it with a simpler and more reliable hose connection. The reliability is more critical in a Technical diving situation, but it is nice to have more durability and reliability in you gear once you get used to not having the same "conveniences".

I'm not sure specifically how your BC inflator bungie is sized, but I think the idea is to have it be large enough to allow some flex and travel. This keeps your inflator in place, but allows the bungie to to travel up a bit so you can raise the hose for deflation.

My description wasn't the greatest, so I found a photo showing the bungie on the inflator.
http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/v/equipment/singlerigfront.jpg.html

I don't understand why you have to pull the inflator out of the bungee to release air. Can you explain a bit more? I use the S25 with a standard stainless steel backplate and hogarthian harness. I keep it under the bungee loop on the left shoulder d-ring and have no problem letting air out via the power inflator without removing it from the bungee.

The reason for no pull dump is that it is a significant failure point. Most wings (from all manufacturers) come with a standard, and more failure-proof, standard elbow instead of a pull dump.

And if you put just the lp hose through the bungee and not the whole inflator it slides up very easy and holds it in place. I'm surprised the shop that sold it to you did not explain the setup to you. Oh and pull dumps on wings are for little girly man divers.:D:shocked2::popcorn::popcorn:

Thanks yall for the responses!

I assumed that the reason was for less points of failure.

It just seems to give me more issues than most people i've seen... :)
I've got a SS BP and Solo harness.

The way my LDS helped me set it up was with the bungee (which would probably be 6 or so inches if "unlooped") on the bottom shoulder strap d-ring slide. The problem is by the time the inflator goes over my shoulder and down the strap I only have enough room left to "pull" the bungee out and slip it over the inflator mouth piece and power inflator button (the hoses aren't long enough to slide it up the corrogated hose...). The bottom d ring is right about where the arm pit and chest meet. Could that be too low? I guess if I moved it up to the top slide (like that DIR picture) it would give me some more room, but only a few inches. Maybe I should get a longer bungee loop with more play in it too...
About where should the top d ring and bottom (shoulder strap) d ring sit in relation to the shoulder and arm pit?

Does this give yall a better explaination? Please let me know if I need to provide better info!

Thanks yall for the responses!

I assumed that the reason was for less points of failure.

It just seems to give me more issues than most people i've seen... :)
I've got a SS BP and Solo harness.

The way my LDS helped me set it up was with the bungee (which would probably be 6 or so inches if "unlooped") on the bottom shoulder strap d-ring slide. The problem is by the time the inflator goes over my shoulder and down the strap I only have enough room left to "pull" the bungee out and slip it over the inflator mouth piece and power inflator button (the hoses aren't long enough to slide it up the corrogated hose...). The bottom d ring is right about where the arm pit and chest meet. Could that be too low? I guess if I moved it up to the top slide (like that DIR picture) it would give me some more room, but only a few inches. Maybe I should get a longer bungee loop with more play in it too...
About where should the top d ring and bottom (shoulder strap) d ring sit in relation to the shoulder and arm pit?

Does this give yall a better explaination? Please let me know if I need to provide better info!

Two things come to mind. First, it does sound like the bungee is mounted too low. It should not wrap around the inflator itself. It should hold the lp hose, or the lp hose and corrugated hose depending upon your preference, but not the inflator itself. My inflator hangs at least 2-3" below the bungee.

Second, it also sounds like the bungee loop may be too small. However, if you just put the lp hose through it and not both hoses, that problem would most likely go away.

Where to put the shoulder d-rings? Stand with your arms straight out at your side parallel to the ground. Fold your elbow and bring your thumb to your armpit keeping the arm parallel to the floor. Where your thumb hits the harness is approximately where you want the d-ring, or at least the d-ring with the bungee.

I'd suggest moving the bungee to your upper d-ring and just put the lp hose through it, not both hoses. See if that helps.

Thanks Divin'Hoosier!!!! I'll make those adjustments and get it set up correct!
The bungee does seem too small after reading that. It is a hassle to even pull it over both the mouth piecie and power inflator button! It fits over the two, but not with simple ease!

Thanks again yall! I figured something wasn't correct because I seem to have more problems than others!

Are there any good sites on the web that show proper (i guess DIR) ways or places to put things on a BP?...like SMB, finger spool, weights, or other accessories...

Are there any good sites on the web that show proper (i guess DIR) ways or places to put things on a BP?...like SMB, finger spool, weights, or other accessories...

If you're interested in DIR, then the best resource is Dan MacKay's Dress for Success book.

Accessories such as SMBs, spools, wetnotes, spare masks, etc. are generally placed in thigh pockets.

Weights (beyond backplates) take on a few forms. Weight belts are common. Doubles divers may also use v-weights and tail-weights. And of course Jet Fins should be counted as weights, since they are negative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom