Now what?? any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys,

I just found out "The Dive Shop" in Sterling has shut down for good. I live in Soldotna and was going to get my open water this summer with this guy as he was the only shop that I know of on the Kenai Peninsula. What am I supposed to do now? I don't think it would be practical to drive to anchorage to get certified. Does anyone know of any other place on the peninsula to go? Or does any one know of any instructer who does private lessons near by. I am just looking for a little help, I was getting so excited to learn to dive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I've always wondered why there isn't a serious shop on the Kenai, Seems like with all the diving from Anchorage being done on the Kenai, there would definitely be support for one.

Talk to the shops in Anchorage and see if they can set something up to fit your schedule, if not, do your OW course on a vacation then just do a drysuit course when you come home.

You might also see if you can round up a few locals who want to dive and call around and see if someone will come to you over a long weekend.

Another option , get a group together (4-6) and get ahold of me, I'll set it up (private course) and we'll do it here in Juneau!

Dave

I agree, with as many people who dive in Seward I would have bet money there would be a small shop at least. I dont' know I will keep looking I guess. If I have to I will do a class in Anchorage, anyone have any suggestions for the best shop in Anc??

I don't, I've only ever met Scott at Dive Alaska and he's a nice guy. I haven't met any of the other shop owners but there are some South Central guys here on the board who can probably make some suggestions.

Dave

Talk to Scott at Dive AK. He is considering opening up another shop in Seward so that is at least a little closer.

Thanks I will look into talking to him, a 2 hour drive is better than a 3 hour drive any day!

I e-mailed Scott at Dive Alaska and they are indeed opening a shop in Seward in case anyone was wondering. He says they are in the process of getting everything planned. I will keep posting when I find out anything new. Thanks for the help guys. :D

Dive Alaska is holding a class in Seward in June. Every Friday at 5 for four weeks, you can get a hold of Scott at the shop if anyone is interested. We need couple other people to hold the class so if anyone is interested they can contact Scott directly, 770-1778

Back
Top Bottom