Dive Report: Destin Jetties 4-17-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was on my back from work in San Destin and driving across the Destin Bridge on my way home and I looked at the water in the pass and I couldn't hardly believe my eyes! Beautiful Blue water everywhere...The brown was gone!!!! I told myself, I should be diving this not driving over it! I no longer got off the bridge and my phone rang from a dive buddy who's just graduated from Navy Rescue Diver School in P'Cola, he said where and when can we go diving? I could only smile to myself when I asked him what he was doing right now......He was game so I pulled over in a hotel parking lot on Oakaloosa Island to find some free Wi-Fi and check the tides. It was around noon now and high tide wasn't until 4:00. King Neptune was smiling down (Or up) on me. He made it to my house just before I got home, we loaded our gear into the van and headed out. We ended up getting to the water and splashing at 16:09 right at high tide. But the slow in tide had already brought some brown back down the pass and it seemed a bit tannic as we entered. Visibility maxed out at about 10 feet but I felt got a bit worse as we dove. We made it to the anchor, which is fully exposed and then came back. We saw quite a few nice sized grouper, a few spades, sheppshead, and Stone blue crab, and of course some Toadfish, and Sandperch. I think we'd have had much better viz if we had hit the tide about an hour earlier, but so goes last minute plans! A couple of pics that turned out:

P4172981.jpg

P4172980.jpg

P4172982.jpg

P4172986.jpg

P4172987.jpg

P4172975.jpg

Are we ever gonna have good vis again? :( We should at least be able to see well enough to see the jellyfish coming at us. :D

Im headed down to destin around memorial day. Should I hope for any better viz by then?

all depends on the weather (rain), tides, and whether or not the June Grass is in yet or not...

diving in June Grass is like diving in "green snot". :D

I might be down there around Memorial day.... give me a should if you're headed down.

If the close anchor is completely uncovered, I wonder if the second anchor is/will be visibile again soon?

Thanks for the report!

Roger that! I'm glad to get some salt water splashed on me, not to mention stow my knife away which I've had to use lately to defend my 3 cuft of water space at Vortex.:shakehead:

Thanks for the report Barry. Looks like you had what has become our normal jetty dives lately. But, a not so good jetty dive is better then a no jetty dive day!

I'd say if we can get some dry days then the viz will be great by then, but if we keep getting a lot of rain then it won't clear up as quickly. It should be getting clearer every day though without rain!

Im headed down to destin around memorial day. Should I hope for any better viz by then?

Barry...we have been trying to get you to come over to the dark side. We were at Vortex the other day and the cave was clear and NO crowds!:D

Roger that! I'm glad to get some salt water splashed on me, not to mention stow my knife away which I've had to use lately to defend my 3 cuft of water space at Vortex.:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom