Dive Report: St. Andrews State Park PCB 04-18-09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Went to Vortex Early Saturday morning with my dive Buddies Brandon and Larry with the thought of beating the crowds since all the boats trips had been blown out and the crack head weather man said 5-7 foot seas. But upon our arrival at Vortex it seemed the entire diving community had the same idea, it was a zoo of people so we headed over to Morrison's to spy it. Yikes! It is still bad with viz less than 1 foot from what I could tell from the dock. So we went with plan "C" and called Panama City Dive Locker and asked them about the Jetties, they told us they were supposed to have high seas but they had students going in about an hour. Students going? Enough said, we headed for PCB and St. Andrews State Park.
We paid our $5 entrance fee and headed back to a packed parking lot. We ended up getting lucky and found a spot open near the pavilions and made our way to the beach for a look. Yup, Nearly Flat calm! Man I hate NOAA, they've screwed me out of so many dives....... Well not this time, We geared up and splashed at 12:18, and even though high tide was at 4:00 we had fairly good viz under 20 feet. Via was all over the place in the 10-20 foot range with tannic water, salinity issues and a thermocline playing havoc on your sight. Once under it though visibility opened up to 20-25 feet. We turned right and went deeper toward the gulf and saw quite a few nice Sheepsheads, lots of reef fish, arrow crabs, giant angelfish, spades, just a massive amount of smaller snapper, a few nice red snapper, a couple of hogfish, a couple nice sized grouper, some huge red fish, lots of macro stuff for photographers like myself and one horseshoe crab hung up in fishing line. We freed the crab and watched him scurry off. We did two dives the second had a bit less viz as we hung a bit shallower and tried to stay off the bottom for some more bottom time and to allow us to see a bit more stuff. The amount of fishing line in the 20-40 foot range on the gulf side is unbelievable though. It is turning into a real hazard as we got caught up a couple of times! All in all a nice day of diving and weather, followed by a good dive debrief at hellnbacks (sp?) in Destin. We ended our first dive with a max depth of 66 feet for 45 minutes and temp of 69*, and the second dive was 50 feet for 47 minutes with a 69* temp too. It looks the the water temp is fianlly making a recovery!
Some pics:

P4182991.jpg

P4182992.jpg

P4182998.jpg

P4182999.jpg

5-7 foot seas:
P4183014.jpg

P4183028.jpg

P4183037.jpg

P4183040.jpg

P4183044.jpg

P4183045.jpg

P4183052.jpg

Glad you made it out Xray!! Looking forward to seeing you again in a week!!

I like horseshoe crabs, great report as always.

NOAAs predictions were right on, looks like they had 6'+ seas at the closest bouys. The 5-7' predictions won't apply to just off the beach. You'll have to get on a boat to enjoy that kinda ride. There were strong east winds and the east side of the pass provides a bit of wind relief for the channel itself.

Nice pictures... sometimes you see more stuff in and around the shallow areas there.

Thanks for sharing! :)

We dove off the Narcosis with the Dive Locker and it was not that bad on that boat. Seas were maybe 4 feet with a few rollers mixed in to keep it interresting. Looking to make a spring dive to soon to get my wife and daughter ready for the summer.

Sorry I crapped out on you Barry, but I'm glad you got some good dives in and some nice photos. See you this Friday.

-h

Back
Top Bottom