A great day of spearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim GGD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thursday Gary, Brian, Neal, & myself left out of GGD around 8:30, got the Cat-n-Around in the water & headed out of Perido pass about 9:00. Seas were 2-3, water temp 68*.

Neal & I rolled off first onto some bridge rubble at 78' depth. At the bottom of our decent I shot an amberjack then Neal shot an sheepshead.total dive time 29 min.

Gary & Brian rolled off on the same site,where they both shot a nice grouper.viz was about 20'.

next site Neal & I rolled off at a prymid at 72' to only find nothing but red snapper(what a waste of good nitrox)

Gary & Brian then rolled off at navy tug, where Gary shot a black snapper & Brian shot a 70.75 lb. cobia that wanted to take him for a little ride.Luckly for Brian Gary was there to place another shot on it.When Brian hit the surface you'd thought he had won the lottery.Gary got some pictures of it witch should be on the GGD website soon.

Neal & I went back down on the same site only shooting 2 mangrove snapper.

All in all, it was another great fishing on the CAT-N-AROUND!!!!:rofl3:

If you would have cought the fish without Scuba then I would have congratulated you but I do not see Spear Fishing with Scuba as a sport as the fish do not get a good chance of escape unlike with free diving where you have to come up for air!
I am not a fan of spear fishing unless its to catch a meal for yourself or your group, going for big breeding age fish is sad to me!
Thats just my feeling on the subject!

What do you mean the fish don't get a chance to escape? They aren't exactly cornered slow moving creatures! I shoot fish freediving and on scuba and frankly it is far easier to take a fish by surprise when freediving, at least here in the Gulf of Mexico. My next issue is the idea of "sporting." Hunting is hunting and it isn't about being fair, its using all your advantages to kill and eat the target animal. As long as the animal is put down as fast as possible hunting yourself is far more ethical than eating any commercially produced meat you can buy in a store. And isn't this forum SCUBAboard?

Nice report Tim, a cobia in that size class is a real gear buster. Landing it successfully and of course the grilling out afterwords is a perfect day for most of the divers I know!

So Gen San Chris, I guess you would rather see a fish escape with a shaft stuck in him because a free diver needed air that see a scuba diver harvest the fish. Just like Pat said a free diver makes no noise and can sneak up much easier that a diver on scuba. Try diving the northern gulf of mexico and will see just how much "sport" scuba spearfishing can be.

first of all gen san chris, where your from the water is very shallow so it's better to free dive, here you got to get out to deeper water 1) to get better visability 2) get the better fish because thats where all the reefs are.

second of all, spearfishing is a sport but it's not an issue with over-fishing like you see on alot of boats. with scuba your not rushed to shoot anything, you can take your time to make sure the fish is of legel size ,legal species. where freediving you got to take your shot rapidly becauce you've only got that 1 breath.
but like everyone ,your entitled to your own personal opinon,so happy freediving

I had some Cobia Steaks on the grill Friday. Then Sat. I wraped bacon around some Cobia Cubes and made kabobs and Man was that some Good Eatin :wink:
Having trouble with the Digital card that the pictures are on. I may have lost them.

I grilled some AJ & cobia last nite with some Tony's seasoning & lemon. The bacon wrap sounds good, think I'll try it that way next.

Dang that memory card! Sounded like a real nice fish though! Great Job!

It's to bad that some people have to ruin a good thread with F%&*'in BS!

Nice report! Y'all are making me want to ditch the cube and go kill some dinner! Yummy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom