DPV Under $1000 - recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJSDiverNJ

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to purchase a new reliable scooter for under $1000. I am considering the SeaDoo Explorer. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who owns one and can provide an opinion on the latest version of this Scooter. Thanks.

I have a brand new Explorer still in the box that I bought last year but never got out to try yet. I've heard a lot of good about them so I went out and bought one but is seems that I'm always diving off of charter boats down in West Palm Beach so I never have used it yet. I wasn't planning on selling it but I saw you're looking for one and thought I'd just give you an opportunity to take mine as I've never tried it out. I'm in the Daytona Beach area in Florida and I'd take $525 for it. Like I said, it's brand new, still in it's box with all of the paperwork. No problem if you don't want it. One of these days I need to use it somewhere! Come down here and we'll try it out before you buy it if you want. Maybe that will get me out on it finally!

Take care,
Matt

Just keep an eye on The Deco Stop. A few have sold recently, some for less than $800.

With deep mods, these are good to 200'. I get the same burn time on mine as a Sierra X-scooter. It's definitely not light (just over 50#), but it's a fine non-toy scooter.

For what it is worth, I just purchased an Explorer Monday, and it was delivered today (bought from LP through Amazon). We use them for excavation on open wreck in NC / SC. I will have mine wet next weekend if the stars align, and will let you know what I find. We have used the classic version before with no problems. They help conserve air on down/back travel, and are great at blowing big holes in the sand looking for plates, bullets, other artifacts. It looks like a solidly built product.

Rainer is right, you would be far better off getting a good solid scooter like a used Mako from the get go and not get a pool toy seadoo scooter. Give Sludge a PM and see if he still has his Mako and Tekna for sale.
.The Deco Stop

Spoke with Sludge. The two Tekna's that he has were the Rousse's and he wants to keep them as a set. He also wants to sell them to a "worthy" owner who will maintain their history and not just trash them.

I did find a Tekna DV-3X on craigslist that I am gong to look at next week. Hope that one works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom