transpac II wing sizes debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

locker

Registered
Reaction score
I ordered a transpac II with rec wings. When I told my padi instructor and dive shop owner what I did he criricized me for buying the rec wings saying they were to big for recreational diving and they were made for two tank setup. He said they would cause to much drag when swimming. Should I exchange my rec's for trek's?

P.S: THis is my first bc.

I bought the rec wings with mine also...They haven't arrived yet though....

Guess we'll both have to try it. :)

--Sean

Didn't have a chance to dive with the setup yet, but will do so this week and report.

The decision to go with the Rec wing was taken after consulting with Dive Rite by email. I described my type of diving and my equipment to them and got their confirmation that the Rec wing is the right one for me.

And a few more comment:

1. The Rec wing is suitable for both single and double diving (and I am not going to get into the BP/Wing discussion here).

2. It has a cord that can be adjusted in order to minimize tank wrap when diving singles.

3. I am diving a back inflated BC with more (!!!) lift than the Rec wing and never had any problems, even when diving AL 80.

4. My LDS is the Dive Rite importer to Israel. They also recommended the Rec wing. Diving there during the weekends, I see a lot of divers using the same setup for singles diving, with no problem (they even like it).

5. In case you'll find the Rec wing too big, you can always buy a travel wing for your "less demanding" applications.

Anyway, enjoy your new setup. I will try mine over the week/weekend and report.

Ari :)

Hi locker have to agree with Ari on this one the Rec wing is an all rounder .I have used it with Single 12,15 ltrs and double 7,10 litres all pretty stable.As already said if you use it with singles just pullin the cord tighter under the wing.Good piece of kit hope you enjoy yours as much as i have do.

Regards,
MAL...

I have used a Rec Wing on everything from single steel 72's up to double 125's. I have also used it with double 112's with an AL80 stage bottle with no problems.

locker once bubbled...
He said they would cause to much drag when swimming. Should I exchange my rec's for trek's?

P.S: THis is my first bc.

Your Rec Wings will be fine!

I don't see where the trek wing would have any less drag.
I think the difference is in the length

http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/cells.htm

I've used the rec wing with singles (aluminum 80, and steel 104) and doubles (steel 95's), and I know others that do too.

The TP II with rec wings was my first BC too!

Good choice :thumb:

The article lal7176 posted would indicate that my recwings are indeed overkill. I can still get the trek wings. Should I? Bye the way I am a beginner diver and I dont forsee diving with doubles in the near future but would like to some day. What do you all think?

I have the Rec Wings and they are too large for use with a single tank. I would say to go with the Trek wings.

The article lal7176 posted would indicate that my recwings are indeed overkill. I can still get the trek wings. Should I? Bye the way I am a beginner diver and I dont forsee diving with doubles in the near future but would like to some day. What do you all think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom