Divemaster AND specialty courses? Clarification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm starting my DM in just over a month, and I'm really excited.

When I was researching where to go, though, one common thread I noticed at many of the shops I looked at was the offer to add 5 PADI specialty classes for a discount.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that doing 5 PADI specialty classes is what the Master Scuba Diver cert is.

If I've made the decision to go pro, why would I also want the MSD? Is the DM who has taken the deep diver specialty course better than the DM who hasn't, all other things being equal?

I know this is an imperfect question, and no, I, as soon-to-be DMC don't claim massive experience. I do not have 10,000 dives, and I don't have even 100 deep dives. I have just around 110 dives total, and probably half are deep. For my experience level, I feel as comfortable on a deep dive as I do in <20m. Would the deep diver specialty improve me in a way beyond the DM course alone? Will it prepare me further for the IDC?

I'm wondering if this is a PADI money maker or if there is something to it, and I should reconsider the specialties.

The instructor specialties make more sense to me, but not specialties at the DM level.

For dm, you need OW, Adv, Rescue, and a first aid course, along with at least 60 dives.
You do Not have to have the specialties. This is a marketing plan to get you to take more courses. A smart business move, but not needed for the DM course.

Scubasully,

I don't think it is necessary. I agree with your logic. Your instructor during the DMT should also help you in areas you feel improvement is needed without having to take a specialty course IMO.

You are correct that you certainly do not need these specialty certifications for your DM program. One consideration might be if you plan to continue on towards an instructor certification. If that is the case, and you are planning at that point to complete your Master Scuba Diver Trainer Prep, then you need the specialty diver certifications before you can get the instructor certifications. However, you have plenty of time to think about that, so I'd say "pass" on the specialties for now and focus on the DM course. Best of luck!

Not needed, but good to have. Being a DM is focussing on the business side of things, and helping out with classes. Some of those classes will be helping with AOW's electives, or the specialty course themselves.

Looks kind of silly if the student is asking for clarification about something, and you don't know the answer because you haven't done it yet yourself...

Not needed, but good to have. Being a DM is focussing on the business side of things, and helping out with classes. Some of those classes will be helping with AOW's electives, or the specialty course themselves.

Looks kind of silly if the student is asking for clarification about something, and you don't know the answer because you haven't done it yet yourself...

Says who? Not being a smart ass but just wanting to know why the DM is supposed to be business focused?

To me, just a rec diver, a DM is someone I would have guide me on a dive. I wont be asking them anything as I had hired him to be a guide in an area.

Now, people going for their instructor cert should be business oriented and should have a focus on the "classes" and whatnot but should also of taken most of the classes they will be assisting with.

Now, in the future, my wife will be an instructor and at the most I may be a DM.. Maybe never even go that far. I honestly dont care for it or the agencies. But for her, she definately wants to be an instructor. Right now, we cant find a place for her to get the training because they all want her to work for free which is not on any of our schedules. Makes no sense. DM - you can go pay and take a class. Instructor? Come volunteer for a while. Just a stupid system if you ask me.

Says who? Not being a smart ass but just wanting to know why the DM is supposed to be business focused?

To me, just a rec diver, a DM is someone I would have guide me on a dive. I wont be asking them anything as I had hired him to be a guide in an area.

Now, people going for their instructor cert should be business oriented and should have a focus on the "classes" and whatnot but should also of taken most of the classes they will be assisting with.

Now, in the future, my wife will be an instructor and at the most I may be a DM.. Maybe never even go that far. I honestly dont care for it or the agencies. But for her, she definately wants to be an instructor. Right now, we cant find a place for her to get the training because they all want her to work for free which is not on any of our schedules. Makes no sense. DM - you can go pay and take a class. Instructor? Come volunteer for a while. Just a stupid system if you ask me.

The reason PADI (can't speak for other agencies) wants their DMs to start focusing on business and marketing is because they (PADI) are in the business of diving to make money, and their professionals (DMs and Instructors) are their primary sales force. I'm in agreement with you in that I did not take the DM course to further my career goals, in fact I did it as a way to spend a couple of months in the caribbean diving for practically nothing, and of course to improve my dive skills.

From PADI's perspective, the DM course is a gateway to the IDC and eventually teaching PADI courses.

Y.... to complete your Master Scuba Diver Trainer Prep, then you need the specialty diver certifications before you can get the instructor certifications.

No, you don't.

There are two methods to apply to teach specialties and neither requires you to have the specialty certification first....with the exception of EANx.

First of all, congrats on your upcoming DM training. I've recently started my DM training as well.

First of all, consider what you will be doing as a DM. Will you be working on a liveaboard or assisting local instructors? Will you be working with an independent instructor, or will you be working with a dive shop? Your plans should help you decide what additional training/experience you need.

Next, talk it over with your instructor. Your instructor will probably have some good advice/insight/experiences that will help you decide if you need the additional specialty training. You may find out you already have the skills/experience needed, or you will learn those skills as part of your DM training.

You may want to concentrate on DM for right now and consider specialties after you become a DM. You will have a lot to do with just your DM training.

Ron

Psycho,

If your wife can afford to spend a couple weeks in the Keys, her best bet is to attend an IDC there. I just finished my IDC and IE with Florida Keys Dive Center. They were great. It's kinda like "Scuba Boot Camp" but when you're done you feel confident and ready to teach. What's really nice about this method, is that you complete your IDC and IE in one shot instead of spending months interning.

Back
Top Bottom