Water entry for those with bad legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife has major trouble with the giant stride. She's broken both ankles in the past and her balance with a tank on her back is not the best. Is there another acceptable method for her to get in the water from a boat deck?

Controlled seated entry, sit on the edge of the boat spin around slide in (only in calm water I would imagine)

Backwards roll, self explanatory (usually done from small zodiac style boats)

She should have been taught the side entry during OW.
My wife normally uses this (under any weather conditions) to avoid forcing her lower back.
She sits on the platform (or gunwhale) and gets equipped in a sitting position. Then it's just a half twist to put her hands on the ledge at the side of her. And then a good push to throw herself clear of the boat (especially if it's going up and down).

Another option would be to have the bc with air in it. and after you are in, she can put it in the water for you to tend to as she enters and then puts her gear on.. Now I would say that this may not be the best method if you are wearing a weight belt, no neoprene and the bc was the only way you were going to float.

I have weight integrated so when I am at the quarries, I dont like haveing to tread lightly over the rocks. so I set my gear in the water and and get waist deep and then don my gear and go..

I have heard that elderly could use this technique off a boat so thats what I am describing.

I personally want to learn to do the front flip entry. hahah Have seen it done. I must do it as well now. haha

I tore a calf muscle last year while doing a GIANT stride. After things settled down I just fell over backwards off the tail end of the boat. No problemo.

All good advice. I'd also suggest checking with the skipper of the boat for options. (They might not want her to do a backward roll or . . . )

I'm with Psychocabbage; I have bad knees and often have my gear put in for me after I get in (I have integrated weights). And when shore diving, I also float my gear out and put it on in the water. Not only is this easier on knees, back, etc., but it's a great way to practice gear handling skills in the water; does a lot for new divers' self-confidence.

If she can not giant stride and the gate is high, have go to the back of the boat and get in on the swim step.
If the gate is not that high, you go in first and (with plenty of air in her BC and with little or no current or surge) have her jump in feet straight and no fins. Help her on with her fins after she pops up.
Like others have said, ask the captain for the best options.

i saw somebody doing a normal dive - like head first. and we did the "dead mexican": stand backwards to the water and let yourself fall.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom