Marsa not for beginners?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nerea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

Me & my husband have had our eyes on Marsa Alam for August this year, mainly out of our wish to see some larger pelagics. We got OW certified in the Philippines last year, saw plenty of small fish (amazing!), one manta (mind-blowing!) - we both have 10 logged dives each. I am aware that Elphinstone is out of our reach, but are there any good dives around Marsa for beginners as well, with some chance of seeing turtles, a dugong if we're lucky, rays etc? Or are we better off somewhere else? Ie. if we are "only" likely to see small things, should we head to Dahab (or elsewhere) instead?

Any advice greatly appreciated! :blinking:

Thanks!

Sara :turtle:

With your experience I would fo to Dahab. You can see nice things there as weel, like sting rays.
Its nice and small, less hectic than Sharm and offer good diving.

You will learn a lot from conducting shore dives too, assuming you did most of your diving in Phillipines with small bancas.

Save your trip to Marsa Alam to see the big stuff for later while getting some great value dives and experince in Dahab. Consider AOW.

Br
Martin

Marsa Alam is wicked! And you don't need more experience there than anywhere else. There are easy dive sites and more demanding dive sites. Just like everywhere else. First of al the dive sites are better the further down south you get in the Red Sea and there are also less boats on the dive sites. There is no need for you to wait with Marsa Alam until you have more experience. I have been working all over the Red Sea from far north to all the way south since 1999 and I can honestly say there is no place you can't go, with the exceptions of the offshore marine parks like Brothers, Daedalus, Rocky and Zabargad.

If it's larger pelagics you want to sea you haven't chosen the best time f year though. Of course you have a chance to see big stuff all year around if you're in the right spot at the right time and you're looking in the right direction :eek:) If you're interested in the time schedule for Red Sea marine life you can have a look at my website WELCOME TO AZIAB and click on "Yearly Cycle".

Dugong is a cool creature to put on the wishing list. And here you're spot on! I've seen them many times and just the other day my mate saw 4 (yes four!) of them! (should have gone to Las Vegas instead!) I've got a friend who works in the Dive Centre in Marsa Abu Dabab, which is the best spot to encounter this magical marine mammal. Since some time now the bay is closed for boats from outside so the only way to dive there and meet the seacow is to go in from the beach. There are other places you can see them as well like Mara Shouna, Marsa Moubarak and those small bays with sea grass along the coast but Marsa Abu Dabab gives the best odds. There you are also guaranteed some huge Green Turtles and very likely to see Shovelnose Ray (some cal them Guitarr Shark) and other cool stuff.

If you have any more questions you can PM me or send an email... happy to help.

Have a great holiday
...a...

OW certs can do cool stuff in Marsa. I took these 2 photos earlier this month, both on dives suitable for OW, turtle at Marsa Adu Dabab, dolphin at Dolphin house.

Attachments

• DSCF3502a.jpg
    DSCF3502a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCF3643a.jpg
    DSCF3643a.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 38
Right, thanks all for very helpful info and encouragement! We're off to Marsa Alam the day after tomorrow, diving with Emperor Divers - will write a report when we get back :)
Rain is pouring down outside here in Cambridge at the mo.... can't wait to go!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom