Holiday greetings thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClayJar

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dork Divers Have Fun. That said, who wouldn't want additional [-]excuses[/-] opportunities for having *extra* fun? With that in mind, I figured I'd start a thread for us to post holiday greetings, but not just for the capital-H Holidays. No, we need not limit ourselves in our holidays, just as we need not artificially limit our gear selection.

So, I hereby declare this to be the quasi-official DD holiday greetings thread! A couple [-]rules[/-] guidelines:
  • No made-up holidays. Each holiday should be observed by at least one group of non-Dork Divers. (Of course, if you make one up and Dave Barry mentions it, by definition, it's now a real holiday. We're flexible, and making your [-]excuse[/-] case why your holiday should count can be quite entertaining. :D)
  • Post no more than a week before the holiday. If we post them all at once, we'll run out of good ones too fast. (Plus, after six months of non-stop exposure, even Christmas gets exhausted.)
  • No complaining about any holidays. If a holiday isn't your type, just ignore it -- it won't hurt. (I've heard that there are other places on the Internet that can be great fun if you feel like soapboxing. :biggrin:)
  • No mean holidays. If you're trolling, you're not a DD, and your post will almost certainly live a very short life. (Note to DDs: If someone's trolling and you reply to it, don't let it harsh your mellow when your post disappears with it. That's just how it works.)
Anyway, with that out of the way, let the greetings begin!

Okay, let's see...

Happy Earth Day 2009!
(Wednesday, April 22, 2009)

-and-​

Happy Talk Like Shakespeare Day!
(Thursday, April 23, 2009, the 445th anniversary of the Bard's birth.)
TalkLikeShakespeareDay.org:
How to talk like Shakespeare...
  1. Instead of you, say thou. Instead of y'all, say thee.
  2. Rhymed couplets are all the rage.
  3. Men are Sirrah, ladies are Mistress, and your friends are all called Cousin.
  4. Instead of cursing, try calling your tormenters jackanapes or canker-blossoms or poisonous bunch-back'd toads.
  5. Don't waste time saying "it," just use the letter "t" ('tis, 'till, I'll do't).
  6. Verse for lovers, prose for ruffians, songs for clowns.
  7. When in doubt, add the letters "eth" to the end of verbs (he runneth, he trippeth, he falleth).
  8. To add weight to your opinions, try starting them with methinks, mayhaps, in sooth or wherefore.
  9. When wooing ladies: try comparing her to a summer's day. If that fails, say "Get thee to a nunnery!"
  10. When wooing lads: try dressing up like a man. If that fails, throw him in the Tower, banish his friends and claim the throne.

Happy Administrative Professionals Day!
(Wednesday April 22 2009)

Now go get me a cup of coffee, pick up my dry cleaning, and have my tanks filled with EAN 32 :rofl3:

Are you board? (get it - board?- oh never mind)

HAPPY ARBOR DAY
Friday April 24

Go plant a tree and lower your carbon footprint!

Feliz Cinco de Mayo, Dorks!

Okay, so it's a bit late, but it seems only right to observe, albeit belatedly...

Happy Star Wars Day!
(i.e. "May the 4th be with you.")

And just in case belatedly isn't fair, Sunday's coming up quickly, so...

Happy Mother's Day!
(Sunday, May 10, 2009 -- don't forget your mother or you'll be the other kind of dork :biggrin:)

Happy Bike To Work Day!
(Friday, May 15, 2009 -- Also, this whole week is Bike To Work Week, and it's National Bike Month, but since neither of those are really days, they just get an honorable mention in this parenthetical)

Happy Armed Forces Day!
(Saturday, May 16, 2009, in the US)

There once was a Dork from SB
Who said, with his heart full of glee
It' time to go diving, so I just can't stay
And by the way, happy Limerick Day

Happy Victoria Day
(May 18th is Queen Victoria's birthday)

Back
Top Bottom