Quick Air/Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any problem switching the same regulator back and forth between air and nitrox cylinders?

No. Everyone does it.

I would imagine your using mixes under the 40% range so that would be a no. Meaning no problem. Go back to your EANx manual as this should be clearly indicated.

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes things easier.

The reason I was asking is my primary dive buddy for the next year won't get his Nitrox cert and I'm getting mine as soon as I get home in September.

Fills for air are $4 as opposed to $8.50 so I see no point in spending double the money not to gain a significant advantage due to him especially when diving frequently.

I most likely plan to fill my 2 HP100s with air, use the charter's rental tanks for nitrox when I do the 2 cert dives, and swap back to my tanks and dive air primarily. Then when I get home a year later, switch my tanks over to Nitrox. Obviously if a need to dive Nitrox came up, I could always rent tanks once again.

My instructor mailed me the literature over here so I can knock it out easily as soon as I get back.

Sound logical?

I would imagine your using mixes under the 40% range so that would be a no. Meaning no problem. Go back to your EANx manual as this should be clearly indicated.

I'd only be using mixes below 40%.

See my above post. I haven't taken the course yet but I'm deployed to Iraq right now and only have a month at home when I get back. I'm in the process of buying tanks so I'm trying to figure out the most efficient route to go here.

I spoke with Fill Express in Pompano as previously recommend and he foresees the prices rising on the Worthington tanks by the time I get home in September but they ship for free so I'm more than likely just going to order 2 HP100s from them and have them shipped UPS ground to my house in West Palm Beach, a whopping 45 minutes away.

You already own tanks? Do you find that much easier than just renting?

I'd only be using mixes below 40%.

See my above post. I haven't taken the course yet but I'm deployed to Iraq right now and only have a month at home when I get back. I'm in the process of buying tanks so I'm trying to figure out the most efficient route to go here.

I spoke with Fill Express in Pompano as previously recommend and he foresees the prices rising on the Worthington tanks by the time I get home in September but they ship for free so I'm more than likely just going to order 2 HP100s from them and have them shipped UPS ground to my house in West Palm Beach, a whopping 45 minutes away.

I see now. IMO, hold off on tanks. How much diving will you do? It is a lot easier and less of headache renting tanks instead of worrying about transport, fills and servicing. Especially with all the scuba shops in FL. If you really find the need, you can always do that later as you gain more experience and see how much diving you will be doing.

I see now. IMO, hold off on tanks. How much diving will you do? It is a lot easier and less of headache renting tanks instead of worrying about transport, fills and servicing. Especially with all the scuba shops in FL. If you really find the need, you can always do that later as you gain more experience and see how much diving you will be doing.

I intend to dive pretty much every weekend once I get back to Texas and pretty often back in FL since we have a boat. A couple local shops only rented Aluminum.

And there is only one dive shop I know of where I will be in Texas and they're extremely small so who knows what they offer.

Whats wrong with AL? Serves most recreational divers well.

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes things easier.

The reason I was asking is my primary dive buddy for the next year won't get his Nitrox cert and I'm getting mine as soon as I get home in September.

Fills for air are $4 as opposed to $8.50 so I see no point in spending double the money not to gain a significant advantage due to him especially when diving frequently.

I most likely plan to fill my 2 HP100s with air, use the charter's rental tanks for nitrox when I do the 2 cert dives, and swap back to my tanks and dive air primarily. Then when I get home a year later, switch my tanks over to Nitrox. Obviously if a need to dive Nitrox came up, I could always rent tanks once again.

My instructor mailed me the literature over here so I can knock it out easily as soon as I get back.

Sound logical?

Just to play Devil's Advocate, you do realize that you'll have to adjust your weighting between the steels & the ALs, right?

Also, am I correct in assuming that you plan to keep those tanks dedicated to Nitrox?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom