Spring Preparation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squishy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone!
I am a relatively new diver and am happy to be coming out of winter so that I can start diving again. What kinds of things do you do to prepare to begin diving again?

Here's my list so far...
  • Unpack all the gear
  • Check everything for damage or wear
  • Check cylinder for air and o-ring
  • Check battery in dive computer
  • Make sure dive insurance is current
  • Review hand signals
  • Check batteries in dive lights
  • Plan the first dive with buddy
  • I had the annual service done on my regulator last month

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. What else should be on my list?
Thanks!
-Mike-

Does your exposure suit still fit?
Are you going to do a pool review session?
Are you going to check whether your weight needs have changed?
Have you made a list of the skills you want to practice on your first dive(s)?

I like how you're thinking.
Bryan

personally I replace my dive computer battery every year, and the little clear screen cover too. I also go to the pool to work the kinks out while it is still cold out, because the pool is 84 deg.

Does your exposure suit still fit?
Are you going to do a pool review session?
Are you going to check whether your weight needs have changed?
Have you made a list of the skills you want to practice on your first dive(s)?

I like how you're thinking.
Bryan

Great additions!

I just ordered a new wetsuit that should be here this week. I checked the old one and it still fits but it is a 3MM and I ordered a warmer one (7/6).

There is no pool diving opportunity here unfortunately. I would love to do that, though. I've checked with all the pools and they all said they would not allow it.

My weight is the same as it was last year, but I will double check. On our first dive we take it really easy. We swim out, check weights, drop down and come back up to confirm that everything is OK before diving our plan.

I have not made a list of skills, but that is a really good idea. I definitely want to do a mask flood, manual inflate on the bcd and a lost regulator drill. I'll work on the list!

personally I replace my dive computer battery every year, and the little clear screen cover too. I also go to the pool to work the kinks out while it is still cold out, because the pool is 84 deg.

Batteries are pretty cheap compared to how inconvenient it would be to have it die on a trip. Good suggestion!

Thanks!
-Mike-

Make sure all the stuff you think is in your bag is in your bag ... like the Save-A-Dive stuff and the cert cards.

Make a note not to quit diving simply because its winter...

We have not hibernated :D so there is no reason to do the spring preparation :D

Cylinder o-ring and air checking is an every dive procedure. Besides cylinders have to be vis. inspected and checked before winter not after. I have seen a couple of 1 season old steal HP130 cylinders which were laying over the winter full with ean 36 and had water accidentally got inside. The guy brought them for inspection in spring. That was their first and the last winter.

Great additions!

Batteries are pretty cheap compared to how inconvenient it would be to have it die on a trip. Good suggestion!

Thanks!
-Mike-

I always carry 2 spares in my logbook. they take no space and can always be replaced

Make sure all the stuff you think is in your bag is in your bag ... like the Save-A-Dive stuff and the cert cards.

Thanks! I have a checklist that I use the night before dives. That has saved me some inconvenience a couple times.

Make a note not to quit diving simply because its winter...

I'm definitely not ready for ice diving. :) Not sure if that will ever interest me, but it would be a good excuse to go somewhere warmer in the winter. No funds for that right now, though.

We have not hibernated :D so there is no reason to do the spring preparation :D

Cylinder o-ring and air checking is an every dive procedure. Besides cylinders have to be vis. inspected and checked before winter not after. I have seen a couple of 1 season old steal HP130 cylinders which were laying over the winter full with ean 36 and had water accidentally got inside. The guy brought them for inspection in spring. That was their first and the last winter.

True... I do check the o-ring before each dive. Interesting point about having the cylinder inspection before winter. I've never heard that before, but it makes good sense. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
-Mike-

Sounds like a very good plan -- you might consider practicing air-sharing as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom