Anyone taken/used a scooter in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Nellis

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm headed down to Coco View resort in a month for the first time and was wondering if anyone with scooter experience that has dove Roatan could offer an opinion as to whether or not it would be worth taking it, and/or any recommendations

I need to get some run time on my new prototype before the first "protoduction" run.

Quick specs:

Weight - 45 lbs (neutral in sea water)
1050 watt hour LiPo battery
Fully variable speed (0 to full)
Reed switch trigger
NO SHAFT SEALS (magnetic coupling/clutch)
NO MECHANICAL CLUTCH
Real Skewed blade prop.
Mil. spec hard anodized housing
600 foot depth rated
Optional 25 watt LED headlight

Attachments

• ScooterSB.JPG
    ScooterSB.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Prop.JPG
    Prop.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 80
  • HandleSB.JPG
    HandleSB.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 76
Hey Jon,

The scooter looks great. If you need a beta tester, let me know. I think it's about time a more efficient propeller was used. If you want any feedback from those of us who dive scooters a lot, let me know.

I'd like to be confident that I can jam my hand into the propeller if the scooter is stuck on and have a way to make sure I can turn it off somehow if the reed switch sticks.

Hi Jon! Thanks for the input on the bollard testing, and BTW, Harry (Doc Wong) is one of the test divers for the Benchmark.

If you haven't seen them, here are some videos about traveling with scooters, Endless Scooter and Endless Scooter 2. Endless 2 specifically shows footage from Utila and Roatan.

Generally the traveling part isn't that tough, it's just luggage. We chose highly visible colors for our scooter cases so we can keep track of them. Usually there's a little bit of a learning curve for the dive operator, too, regarding handling the scooter, they tend to want to stack them like cordwood.

Good luck and post a report when you get back!

All the best, James

Rainer,

It's in the development stage which means I'm focusing on the performance and in denial of the cost.

Harry,

Should the reed switch fail closed (it can't lose alignment on the magnet) then you just turn the speed knob to zero. If the stars aligned and both failed on, then you just reach in and pull the propeller straight out, because the only thing holding the prop on is the magnetic force of the clutch, a slip fit on the bearings and forward thrust. No tools needed. I'll be in Monterey a lot this summer and we can coordinate some test days.

James,

Thanks for the links to the short films and I should add OUTSTANDING JOB!. Andrew brought their first camera scooter out on the boat a few years back with James N. when it was centered in the nose cone. Your video looks much better than what they shot that day, but then again, they were in the dark on a wreck at 180'.

As for luggage, I'll probably pack it in the dive gear bag for this trip. The nozzle is a few inches smaller in diameter than the X's and the arms are not at 90, so it can pack into a bag with only 8" of depth (plus some room for padding) I'll have to scout out a decent travel case as the pelican cases are way too heavy for the new airline weight restrictions (50# on Continental unless flying first class)

...and your fat maine coon looks a lot like our fat maine coon.

I have not stayed at Coco View but have stayed across the way at Fantasy Island. I also tend to dive with a scooter 90% of the time here in California. I would recommend you take it. The scooter will allow you to easily access the outside walls in a matter of minutes. Of course you will either be solo diving, if Coco View allows that, or towing someone, unless your buddy brings his scooter. There is NO current in Roatan, and amazing walls right outside the resorts.

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom