Pete's Tide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Vis report from yesterday is 5 feet vis on the Freighter and 15 feet on the Pete's Tide. The H2O Below went out to both yesterday. The big sighting was a 15 ft Bull Shark on Pete's. One guy on the boat was on his first boat dive, first salt water dive - he LOVED the shark. He was in the wheel house with about a million spade fish who were hiding from Mr. Grey Coat. What a cool dive for your first salt water boat dive. :wink:

Another diver spotted a lobster but it was too far under the wreck to get without digging a hole in the sand. The water was 66 degrees and not to bumpy.

Today Thursday is the Oriskany and I'll let everyone know if the vis is better out there. The weather seems to be trying to get better. LET's go dive. We've got trips Friday, Saturday and Sunday if it holds.

Thanks for the report

15'? Its either not a Bull Shark or whoever spotted it exagerates :) Female Bulls(bigger than males) get a max length of 11.5' according to most descriptions. There is a refference or two stating a 13' max.

Every time anyone ever sees a shark in the gulf (with the exception of hammerheads and whale sharks) it's always a bull shark, and to be honest, if all you have is a fleeting glimpse of a shark on his way out of town, they would be hard to identify, but to listen to the reports at a dive shop, one would get the impression that 100% of sharks in the gulf are bulls.

But I'm with BugMan in thinking that water + 1st shark = a few extra feet.

Of course it could have been a big tiger or mako. I know a few very large makos have been caught in the area over the last few years. I'd love to see a mako blow past me at 30kts and snatch up mackerel.

My first shark was about 1.5' long, little sandbar shark off the Whiskey Wreck :)

Looking back, maybe it was closer to 6" and actually a guppy in a fishbowl.

I think my most memorable shark encounter was in about 2'-4' of visibility, on the Dredge, with a 3'(guestimating, as visibility wasn't good enough to get a true length) nurse shark. I was close enough to touch it, but it got startled and zipped away quickly :(

I saw a 9' female Bull Shark on the Allen, it looked about 12' uw, but I knew better. :) Probably the biggest one I saw, wish I had more encounters like that.

I love sharks, but don't get the privilege of seeing them too often. My biggest disappointment was being on the dive boat and looking at footage my little brother had taken of a beautiful shark. I asked him "when did you take that?" He says "on THAT dive we just came up from!" He was swimming right there near me and I MISSED IT! Dang dang dang!

Down in the Keys on a shallow reef, I had a nurse shark swim along in my shadow for a bit. It seemed very odd, but wow, what a great moment!

I did get two reports of mako sightings on the 2nd sandbar and Myles Coley caught one, I forget the size. I also just had a guy come in and tell me a 20ft bull took his fish from him today:rofl3:

We went to the Tex Edward today 4/23. Viz was somewhere between 10-15 at best...but, still got two good dives. Will have a few "Green" pictures and a report tomorrow.

Vis report from yesterday is 5 feet vis on the Freighter and 15 feet on the Pete's Tide. The H2O Below went out to both yesterday.

Sounds like the Vis is better over this way, as we have been having 25ish on Ivans Reef and Navy Tug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom