Ankle Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I just got certified and I have some significant buoyancy issues. In my pool training I could NOT sit on my knees comfortable at the bottom of the pool (I am a male weighing 175lbs and they ended up having to put 20lbs of weight on me)..I would flail my arms around the whole time feeling like I was about to float up.. eventually I realized I felt a little more stable if I knelt with one foot flat and the other knee on the ground.

Anyhow, I got a little better during my first dive in the ocean (wearing 18lbs)..but I notice that all of this lift seems to be coming from my fins/legs..

I have Tusa TriEx fins which are positively buoyant. I'm convinced ankle weights would help...though it seems that ankle weights are usually for females... Good idea? and if so, how much? 1lb each? 2? I'd rather play it conservative than have too much and cramp up my legs..

Last edited:
1. The good news is you never need to spend time kneeling on the bottom again.
2. You may be (I will bet you are) overweighted which is causing you to feel out of control and to flail.
3. You don't need ankel weights, but need to spend some time with a mentor/instructor/friend who can help you with trim and placement of your weights.

Welcome to diving!!!

18 lb seems like an awful lot of weight for a 75 lb person. I weigh twice what you do and use less than that. What kind of exposure protection are you wearing? OW classes are notorious for overweighting students so they can kneel on the bottom. Since you'll never be doing that again, maybe rechecking your weight with an experienced friend or mentor might be a place to start. After that, if you're still having trouble with floaty feet, try borrowing a pair of more negative fins, such as Scubapro Jets, to see how they work.

so whats the problem kneeling on one knee and having 1 foot flat (in a pool)?

At 75 lbs, I think 18 pounds is too much. Here is what happens. You are overweighed and to compensate, you add too much air to your BC. This causes more trim and buoyancy issues.

The fix is easy. As you dive more, you will get better at buoyancy and you will start dumping weight. Search the threads for buoyancy checks and you will soon discover the best methods for adjusting your ballast weight.

Ankle weights may help but I consider them transitional. As your buoyancy and trim improve, the need for them will diminish.

Dive more, dive with good divers and learn.

if your feet are floaty and cause you to to be unbalanced. Try a negative fin. Such as a Scubapro Jet. This will help.

And EAT something will ya is that 75lbs wet or dry..:)..

what others have said. No need for ankle weights. Dive more and more..

Aces-- Take your rig to the BHB and bring some wieghts. Start much much lighter. Like 8#. Deflate your BC 100% and see where that puts you. Work up from there. Learning to get all the trapped air out of a BC is a skill all of it's own. I use a shoulder roll shake method. (my naming) --

More air in your BC means more of an effect Boyle's law will have on you hence more of an effect Archimedes' principle will have. Less air in your BC = Good.

Things are not making sense for me here. When I have someone who weighs as little as 75 pounds in the pool, I usually end up putting two 1# weights on a belt just so they can practice using a belt. I myself weigh about 200 pounds, and if I am wearing a 3mm shortie in th pool, I can dive with no weight at all. I usually use 6# when working with students. I have never put anything close to 20# on anyone in the pool, unless we were doing dry suit training or putting on a 7 mm suit for some reason.

I wouild love to see you in the pool or ocean so that I can see what is going on. You should be able to get by with far less weight than that.

Ankel weights are not just for women. They are very useful for drysuit divers and those of use that have a need to be in a verticle position most of the dive.

With more diving you may find that if you redistribute the weight you do carry you might trim out without using ankel weights. I use a weight system from DUI instead of a weight belt because I can move the weight down my hips from my waist and trim out.

Back
Top Bottom