Pool dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I now have a full set of equipment (BC, Regs), none of which has gotten wet yet. I considered doing a pool dive at my local LDS just to make sure everything is ok and to get comfortable with it before I plan a real dive trip. In a past thread I'd been advised against this because it was suggested the chlorine will accelerate the deterioration of most of the gear-especially the BC.
How much of a worry is this? I see in another thread someone asked about a "spring check list" & people are advising a pool check-out and refresher.
I'd really like to ensure everything is in working order and get a little more practice with my skills before I hit the ocean.

I think it's a very wise decision to do so.

While the chlorine in a pool will shorten the life of gear, a once-in-a-while dip in the local pool will have no significant negative effect, especially if properly rinsed in fresh water afterwards.

It'll also help you work out any buoyancy issues you may incur with your new rig.

the K

Putting your gear in the pool a couple of times per year will not be that noticable with regard to deterioration. Rinse the BCD and any neoprene as soon as you get out of the pool. It's worth being refreshed on diving and checking out the gear.

No worries, I have at least 30 pool sessions on my current setup everything looks like new :)

just rinse everything well. It's better to dive pool than ocean in terms of how it affects the gear :)

According to my instructor, he keeps the water in his pool very similar to tap water in your home. So, if you plan on rinsing your gear at home like I do, there is a certain amount of chlorine it is exposed to. If the pool your diving in has more chlorine, you can still rinse it of when you get home which will help get the chlorine off before it damages your gear.

I know chlorine has the potential to damage gear, but if you plan to dive at your LDS, remember, they allow their gear in the pool and the gear I used didn't seem to be any worse for the wear with regard to chlorine.

Bottom line, I personally liked being able to get my new gear wet for the same reasons you mentioned. I wouldn't hesitate to dive in a pool with my gear, especially if I hadn't been diving in a while.

Hope this helps.

Your LDS pool may not have any chlorine in it at all.

Our pool uses bromine instead, and it makes a world of difference. Our pool BCD's and wet suits last for years, still looking and working great.

Even if it has chlorine, I vote with everyone else--occasional use followed by a good rinse will not do any harm at all.

Trying a new set-up out in the pool is a great way to get comfy to your gear in a controlled environment. If you have the ability, I highly recommend it.

My setup has been in the pool too many times to count and still looks new. Just rinse it thoroughly as soon as possible and hang to dry.

Have fun!

I agree with the majority. Our store's pool has more chlorine than tap-water ( to meet our local codes, I'm told ) and I've been using a BC in that pool for several hundred "pool dives". It is no longer black, but it works fine and inspects fine. Since I also used that BC in the ocean for several years, I don't know how much of the fading is due to chlorine, how much to salt, and how much to UV. Bottom line, what you gain in comfort will far offset any (very) minor potential deterioration in your equipment. Now go get wet.

Heck! You want to lose that newbie, brand new gear look as soon as you can, anyway. Right?
Posted via Mobile Device

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom