nikonos 5 settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
need a starting point for asa 100 & 200 settings. Will be using nikonos 5 with 15mm wide angle and ikelite 225 wide angle strobe.what settings work for you and has anyone had any luck with the auto setting.Thanks any suggestion welcome.

Hello,

First off I would complete forget that there's an "A" mode on the camera. That causes nothing but problem after problem. Since you are using a 15mm lens I would consider droping the strobe as well unless you are going to use it for forground fill flash. The difference in 100 and 200 speed film makes it virtually pointless to use 200 speed film, just do the push/pull thing at 200 iso w/ 100iso film.

I would try to keep the shutter speed above 1/60 and keep the f/stop around 5.6. Also would be good to find out what subjects you will be shooting w/ the 15 as many many many many people make some serious mistakes with the 15 and 20mm lens. Some of the more common ones are getting to far away or to close to the subject, then there's the wrong subjects for the lens that's being used. i'm not sure which would be #1.

Ed

Here is what I heard you say go with 100asa and set the camera for 200asa yes or no? 5.6f and 1/60 would you vary the shutter more or less according to depth? I plan on taliking some notes of my settings and try different settings I am looking mostly for a starting point and then trial and error but if I shoot 20 rolls of film I need at least 3 to 4 good ones for 8x10 or I will be pi**ed. I planned on using a wide angle strobe. Thanks

Hello,

One of the good things about the meter in the Nik V it will give you 'suggested settings' for zone V (18% gray). For locations like the bahamas F/5.6 and 1/250 is ideal. I would not shoot if the meter was below 1/60 that would put you into some interesting areas to say the least.

Areas differ by the time of day and conditions. You may want to burn a few test rolls first to see how things will turn out.

Personaly I use provia F 100 and TMX film. I will also push both of them to 400 iso and use a sharpie pen to mark the canister BEFORE the dive.

Ed

Without knowing where and what this person wants to shoot, I don't believe it is entirely possible to suggest that the Aperture priority mode be entirely forgotten. I know that in the Great Lakes I often can't shoot in anything but "A" because it's the only way to get long enough shutter speeds, and if I disagree I can always bracket by using the film speed dial.

Without it ... I couldn't get shots like this which was easily a three second exposure (notice there are TWO sets of blurred bubbles).
http://www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving/munson-aft.jpg
Granted, it's not brightly coloured fish on a reef as bright as the sun, but it's all we've got around here.

Marvintpa,

While it is possible to get exposures w/ a nik V beyond the 1/60 setting it's very difficult with the onboard electronics. I should have been clear in my other post.

I would also rank techniques like this higher than novice, maybe average. We also don't have a starting point for this person as for location, terrain, settings, etc..

Ed

Just out of curiosity, what do you mean by saying "exposures w/ a nik V beyond the 1/60 setting it's very difficult with the onboard electronics"?

Hello,

Assuming your using the 15mm lens the slowest you can hand hold would be 1/15, with the 35mm it's 1/30. The lowest viewable setting on the Nik is 1/30. You would have no idea how long the exposure is, you would also need some extras, i.e. tripod, to prevent motion blur. I have yet to see an adequate quality image from anything lower than that.

Ed

Thanks look at this scenario it will be coco View Jun 7 2003 will be doing walls off the beach the prince albert and all boat dives. Keep it simple the macro I have figured out mostly it is the wide angle 15mm nik 5 225 iklite stobe. Just had 20 rolls of fuji 100 supreria reala arrive at work today. What ap settings ? what f settings? what distance settings? Please give me some things like ok 20 to 40 feet F? aperature? shoot at 100 speed or tell the camera 200?and aim for stuff between X ft and X ft.I have a slate and will keep notes . BALL PARK me please I've read the books but I want real people to give thier thoughts.Out of twenty rolls of film I need 4 at least that are blow up type that will work out to about $500 a piece to put on the wall.And I thought golf was getting pricey! Would it be cheaper to buy from Cathy Church and just LIE?

Hello,

First me me say that cathy church is an over-rated hack. Ask her why she was kicked off the dive boat in bimini :)

W/ a nik V and a 15mm lens the hyperfocal distance for F/5.6 is 62 feet, at F/8 it's 44 inches. If you used the hyperfocal distance at F/5.6 everthing from 99 feet to 148 feet will be in focus. If you used the hyperfocal distance at F/8 everything from 5.7 feet to 8.7 feet will be in focus.

I have not been to honduras and can't give specifics but from a quick net search it seems to have somewhat great visibility so if this is true you could probably swing 1/250 at F/5.6. You could also set the lens on F/5.6 or F/8,set the hyperfocal distance and let the cameras meter do it's job, just pay attention to what it's telling you. Also if the hyperfocal distance is not in the subject range then move the focus scale so it is in range, keep up with the min/max indicators but try not to put the actual distance on the edge.

Reala film is awsome but doesn't hold a candle compared to proviaF but we're comparing slide film to negative film. I have shot both in the past and like both equaly as well. I use reala in my 2 1/4. What I have done is use 100iso in the am and set it for 400 iso in the pm, don't forget to mark the canister! BEFORE you load the film and have the lab do the push/pull thing. Yes I use just 100 iso film for both.

One mistake I see alot is photographers will get to far or to close from the subject with the lens they are using. With the 15mm lens many mistakes are make by not getting close enough to the subject. i.e. taking a photo of a fish 6 feet away and all you get is this big gaping area of nothing and a little small fish that doesn't show up that well. This is caused from the optical difference in the human eye and the 15mm lens. Am told the human eye is about equivalent to a 50-68mm lens or 45 degrees. The nik 15mm lens is 94 degrees, about double the angle so you can eye ball a situation, cut the distance in 1/2 and take the photo

Dont be afraid to take photo's 1 foot away from the subject either. the nik 15mm lens will focus down that close. Some slight near fill flash and the outter edges ambient looks quite nice.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom