Question for the Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In teaching certain courses, instructors are required to make significant numbers of ascents and descents during a day. Open water and Rescue are prime candidates for this problem. This coming w/e I have a rescue course with 6 students. This is going to mean at least 7 up and down just for the controlled bouyant ascent. Open water CESA and Alt Air ascents translate to similar numbers.

Whilst these dives are all relatively shallow, does anyone have any views on the impact this may have. I also wonder if anyone has any solutions to minimising the impact.

It would seem to me that rich Nitrox mixes, say 50/50, may be beneficial. Thoughts?

DiverDave

Shallow is the answer. These short dives with multiple ascents/descents are not a problem in and of themselves. Much like mild freediving, you can do it all day - the Nitrogen tension just doesn't have time to build up to problematic levels. But (there's always a but, isn't there) I wouldn't go over 25 - 30' for these training dives, and I'd separate them from any "real" dives by several hours - preferably not even on the same day - I would especially avoid doing the shallow up-and-down training dives on the same day after I'd been deep.
Keeping your ears clearing, especially in cold water, can be a real problem.
Nitrox certainly wouldn't hurt - but it may not help enough to be of significant benefit either. Doc?
Rick

DiverDave, I feel your pain brother. The repetative CESA's get me very nervous as well. If at all possible try to split them up with another instructor. I'm a firm beleiver in Nitrox, but depending on which agency(s) you teach for, it may not be an option. Keep the dives shallow. If a student is not doing the exercise properly, stop it early on, get back to the bottom and write your concern out on a slate instead of spending time talking on the surface. Spread your dives out nicely. Have O2 handy nearby.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Hi Mate

I agree with both Rick and Mario....make it shallow, and if there are any problems down there with the students write it on a slate and move along. The worst thing you can do is take the student to the surface and try and explain the problem. Imagine trying to do that with 6-8 students....and you know that if one has a problem its more than likey that others will too?!

On the Rescue course try and stay on the surface as much as you can. if you are doing the unconcious diver senario from the bottom to the surface..if vis permits supervise from above. it all helps.

Make sure that you have O2 on the surface(for your sake as well as theirs) and take it easy.

I feel for you

Hocky

DD, you've gotten lots of good advice already. So please forgive me if this seems to be repetitive:

1) Organization. Move skills around within the OW dives so that you minimize ups & downs. Plan the dives with regard to depth (shallow has already been suggested).

2) Slow down ascents. YOU are the one in control, so you can slow things down. Esp with the CESA, where you have contact with both the student & the line. (This is where the leg wrap is the BEST way to do this skill.)

3) Team teach. Split it with another Instructor. If you can't do this, then use as many Certified Assistants as you can muster. They are an invaluable part of the Leadership team! During the OW class they are great for watching & controlling students while you are occupied with assessing student skills. In other courses, like Rescue Diver, remember that THEY can be the ones underwater... you can supervise from either the surface or just below. Also, remember that AIs are allowed to do assess & do surface skills in the OW course.

Take care, bro! :)

~SubMariner~

And make sure to explain something about CESA's that my instructor forgot, or didn't make it stick well enough....

Remind the students that as they do the CESA's, they don't have to actually "exhale" (aka, use their diaphram to 'push' the air out) and try to let the natually expanding air escape as they ascend.

During my trip to the Flower Gardens, a very experienced diver and a divemaster were discussing this and helped me to understand that there is already enough air (and oxygen) in your lungs to help you ascend from recreational depths to the surface, as long as you don't shut your throat (hold breath). And as you ascend the expanding air will "come out on its own"

When I was doing my o/w cert dives, I had a hard time with the CESA's until I did this on my own. So if you can coach your students on the good technique, they will definitely appreciate it and remember it better.

as was mentioned earlier, organization and team teaching ... we just did the same thing this weekend as well, plus DM training

on the alternate ascents cut it in half by having them ascend as a team and you watch the team, not ascend with each diver ... according to PADI at least, this is OK ...

Nitrox is an option as well

For Rescue, thats why God invented DM's and AI's --- utilize them

And last, but not least, get one of them to become an instructor and team teach ... options become more flexible then ... as an example we teach only Wed night ... one of us did Rescue, one of us O/W one of us DM, and gear monkey ... we also had Rescue people in pool wrestling each other so they see everything at least once before O/W -- much better scenario as they know the skills and there is less making up ... all this in a 4 lane 20 yd pool we share with lap swim in one lane

Also, it helps to do it this way as the O/W students see there is class after OW

yup Jimbo that would be me ... been signed on this board for ages and forgot about it :)

While the "open airway" mentioned by TexasMike is true enough, as an instructor the *only* reliable indicator you have of an open airway is bubbles exiting the mouth/nose during the CESA. If the bubbles stop you *must* stop the ascent. Therefore, exhalation is imperative. The key is in teaching your students how to get an exhalation to last a long time, and the key to a controlled lengthy exhalation is in the vocal cords - hitting a high note from start to finish makes the exhalation part of the CESA a piece of cake. And if you instill in your students that "sound of safety" they won't screw it up if they ever have to do it for real.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom