new tank...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awills101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i just bought a faber steel hp100 and ive never dove a steel tank, what would be a good amount of weight to drop to start? i dive a 7mm wetsuit, gloves boots and hood and currently dive 26lbs, the tank is -14.1 lbs full and -6.7 lbs empty

thanks

Depends on what you were diving before but probably around 5 lbs if it was a AL 80.

This is a very heavy tank.
I would start off by taking 10 lbs off, and work from there.

Jim Breslin

I have two of the same fabers as you. I carry ten lbs when diving my 5mm. If i was wearing 7 mm i would wear 12 or so...

With my steel 120 I use 34 pounds and weigh 200. I use the same wet suit, hood, etc. as you.

Just a question...is that a mid pressure or High pressure? It sounds like its a mid...3180psi working pressure with a + so it can be filled to 3400ish. If so that is the same tank I dive and I dropped 8 to 10 to start because its so negative at the end of the dive. Try taking 18lbs to start and see how negative you are at your safety stop.

yes it is a mid with the plus rating
ill probably take 8 off to start, i just recently went down to 26 and it feels a little light

I dive a 100HP with a 9mm(9/7/6) and 3mm shrty I use 22lb.s for boat diving and 26 lb.s for shore diving ,I might go a lil lighter now that a) my suit has compressed a little b) i am more comfortable and better at controlling boyancy.I find that even with the heavier tank on shore dives as you get shallower you find that you need a little more weight at the end when tank gets 500lb.s or less,not as bad as with the aluminum but you still get a little light.

Back
Top Bottom