ft pickens jetties 4 26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standard11

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
went out to ft pickens today and this was my second trip there. last dive was 2 weekends ago and had 3 dives that day which werent great with 5ft viz and a decent current/surge. was rather rough on the surface, high tide was morning time, was at the site about 815 am and started gearing up. ok, as for today now. was a lot better, viz around 10ft with high tide around 10-ish. pretty slack currents, tho they seemed to pick up a little later, expected. i went out with the instructor which certified me just to tag along with the class, dive, chat, and have fun. he and i set out some line came back and he started the briefing. now to the fun stuff, water was 69F and surface was rather calm considering the red flag on gulf side. picture will show. went out, swam around a lot and had fun(dont wanna bore everyone with the repetitiveness of goin out with each group) but saw some fish, anemones, urchins, shells, the usual. overall i had about ~90 mins in the water and hit bout 40'. even managed to get a free beer from some campers sitting on the beach after catching their cooler lid and taking it back. pretty good end to my weekend before finals start tomorrow. vortex/springfest wouldve been all that could have made it better.

015.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, been a while since I've dived there and its one of my favorite beach dives.

road isnt open but gulf breeze has some gators running shuttles out there for campers/divers. its 20$ round trip, im not sure how to get a hold of them as the instructor i was with did so. but im sure if you called dive pros in pensacola they wouldnt mind passing on the info. or ride out there, they stay at chickenbone beach when theyre not shuttling people in/out.

This is a great place to dive and I know everyone wants the road open, but I can't help
feel a little sad because the jetty is so much better since Ivan with fewer people going out there.

This is a great place to dive and I know everyone wants the road open, but I can't help
feel a little sad because the jetty is so much better since Ivan with fewer people going out there.

Yep, I fully expect to lose a good bit life once ow students start kicking the crap out of everything once a week, but such is life, and you can't blame people for wanting to dive :wink:

ill prolly be back out there again sunday, maybe saturday. ill post another update on everything and try to find out what i can from the people running the shuttle. but yea its a fun dive, have only alabama pt to compare shore dive wise, but i like it none the less.

If you plan your dives to catch the tides right do yourself a favor and do a night dive. The Jetty will give you one hell of a treat.

Back
Top Bottom