Dive Report: Destin Jetties 04-24-2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After my quick dive on Navarre Beach I hauled butt over to Destin to meet JHayes75 (Jason). We met a bit before 0900 suited up and were making our way to the water in no time at all. I have to congratulate the Island authority who don't seem to have gotten laxed in there efforts to keep replacing the sand on the walkway to the water with softer sand that cushions you every step in sink to your calf sand.... Great job! :lotsalove:
We splashed after some quick intros, and a minor cardiac arrest on my part at 0936. We made our way down to the box where and had fairly bad viz until we hit the box at about 25-30 feet where we tied in our dive flag. I had told Jason about all the large dead sand dollars but I don't think he grasped the magnitude until he saw them all. Jason was going to collect a few for his families and I picked about about 30 or so for deposit at Vortex later that night. :D:rofl3: We made our way around the corner into fairly strong current to the big anchor and then drifted back toward our entry/exit point. We took our time on the way back as I snapped a few pictures and played with the Blue crabs. The crabs were jubpin out of holes everywhere and in there excitement would get tangled up in your BC and start pinching anything and everything, it was a bit unnevering at first, but funny later.
We kind of split the dive into two sections and faster swim out toward the anchor and after we turnde we slowed way down and floated with the slowing current and looked at all the macro stuff in the rocks. I always feel terrible about diving with a non-photographer like Jason as I will stop all the time and take a few pics before jumping down a few rocks and snapping some more, but Jason was very patient and was looking around and spotting neat things for me to snap. Viz hung right at about 10-15 feet most of the dive except in the shallower waters which seemed to be a bit more tanninc. We had 54 minute dive for 53 minutes with min water temp of 70*. Here are a few pics I snapped:

You want a piece of Me?
P4243075.jpg

JHayes75 (Jason)
P4243101.jpg

Come get some......Beeeyaaatich!
P4243079.jpg

Anemone:
P4243096.jpg

Blenny:
P4243097.jpg

P4243107-2.jpg

One happy male crab.....Notice the look of contentment! Look under him.......

P4243094.jpg

P4243104.jpg

Great shots Barry. The Blennys are my favorite! Hopefully the Gulf will start to clean up a little and push some cleaner water our way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom