Spearfishing in Marathon FL, Need Some Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I am new to the Forum and just wanted to say hi and hopefully get some advice.

I am going to be in In the Florida Keys may 4th-14th with my brother and a couple of buddies. We intend to fish, dive and spearfish pretty much the whole time. We are all in college and are spending kind of alot of $$ so we want to do everything we possibly can to make sure we get on fish and have some fun. I am just going to let you know what I have figured out so far and what I am looking to learn. I have gotten some really good advice on other boards for my previous trips and I really hope someone on here will be able to help me out. Thanks in advance!

- Experience- This will be the first time spearfishing for all of us. We have all free dove before and 3 of us are certified. I have been certified for 4 years and have been on a number of dives but have never spear fished. We all have experience boating but I have never run a boat in Florida on my own so I am very unfamiliar with the waters.

- Gear -
I recently purchased a full setup of scuba gear minus a tank and am planning on purchasing a gun when I get down to Fla. I have a US diver regulator + backup reg, a Sherwood BCB, a performance gauge cluster, weight belt, etc. As far as I understand none of it has been used in like 4 years, is there something I should do to have it tested before I dive?

As far as a gun I have kind of decided on a JBL SUPER CARBINE, I found a store on my way down that has them for $90.00 If someone has a better suggestion in that price range please let me know. I wouldnt even mind buying a used gun but would have to get one with good bands or ones that I could replace cheaply. I intend to do mostly shallow water spearfishing and am pretty much interested in shooting anything that we legally can. I also intend to spearfish the waters here in MI for big carp, gar catfish, sheepshead and more so I would like a decent sized gun with a little punch to it.

- Transportation - I have reserved 20' Cobia CC with a 130hp 2 stroke Yamaha, it has livewell, fishfinder, GPS etc. It is $155/day for 3 days + Gas from Captain Pips Marina in Marathon (if someone knows of a better deal please let me know). We are interested in doing just about any kind of fishing and diving/spear fishing we can in the time we are down. We will have acess to kayaks the days we don't have the boat. I have experience boating and have done a fair amount of salt water fishing but very little of it from a boat and NONE of it from a boat captained by me.

Things I need to know:

- Fuel Useage and Cost -
They would would not give me any idea of what the fuel useage of this boat is. Like I said it is a 20' Cobia CC with a 130hp 2 stroke Yamaha. We will have 4 guys aboard, will likely have the livewell full and a fair amount of gear. I understand it is almost impossible for you to give me any kind of accurate estimate but just want to get an idea of what the price range might be. Unless we find something that we are really tearing it up at we may do a fair amount of motoring, we want to try as much as we can and still have fun. I had estimated between $50 and $100 a day, hope I wasn't too far off :/.

- Tips, Tactics and Where to Fish -
I do alot of freshwater fishing and have done a fair amount of saltwater so I am not clueless but I could definitely use help. I am an avid fisherman amongst other things and I am not afraid to do what it takes in order to catch fish. I am very interested in finding some wrecks/reefs that we can dive/fish. I would be trying to catch both bottom fish and pelegics/game fish. I am not sure what the weather is going to be like but if it is not too much in fuel and conditions allow I am willing to go 10-15 miles offshore.

Captain Pips Marina is at the base of the 7mile bridge in Marathon. We wont be trailering so I would imagine our range will be a 15 mile radius or so (maybe more/less depending on our top speed, weather conditions, fuel costs, etc). I dont mind doing a little running and spending the time/$$ to get to the right spot as long as there is a good chance it will produce good results. I am really hoping to get some specifics on reefs, wrecks, rocks, anywhere we might be able to catch/shoot some fish. I have a handheld GPS and can navigate fairly well so getting some numbers would be awesome. We are respectful guys and responsible fishermen and are only fishing for three days so please don't be afraid we are going to trash/steal your favorite spot or something. I have come to rely on this kind of advice over the years and always try and reciprocate if I feel I can help someone out. Ideally I was hoping that someone might be interested meeting us up and showing us a spot or two as well as giving us the rundown. We could probably even throw you some money for gas. I have seen people looking for riders on other sites, so if someone has room for 4 in thier boat we would happily chip in for gas in bait. If it is close enough and ok with you I could fish that spot in the rental boat later but will respect it if it is you honey hole or something.

Thanks again,
James

..I am going to be in In the Florida Keys may 4th-14th

Weather-wise May 4th looks pretty good. May 5th looks choppy. That's as far out as the models go, but you may want to jump in the water as soon as you arrive.

...but I have never run a boat in Florida on my own so I am very unfamiliar with the waters.

Dive site numbers are critical. I believe that if you are put on a good fish site, you can shoot some fish. But many of us have secret gps number (not the Duane/T-bolt) that you'll never get unless you dive with a charter that can put you on the fish. Hitting sand all day or slow reef sections with no/little fish is really frustrating. A good charter will know where to drop you given the variables of moon phases, bottom temps, and seldom visited sites. If it's a public number, let's face it, everyone has hit it.

none of it has been used in like 4 years, is there something I should do to have it tested before I dive?

And now I'm wondering if I'm into a troll post, but I'll try help. Don't dive any equipment unless it has been properly serviced, it's not worth being crippled or dead. 4 years old and I'll guess you'll have a High Intermediate Pressure and a free flowing regulator. Rental gear in the keys is fairly economical, I'd rent the regulator rather than dive the old stuff. Being in a chamber at a cost of $22,000 over 4 days will ruin a vacation. Being dead isn't a fun phone call for the police to make to your parents either. Buy DAN insurance for $65 at DAN Divers Alert Network. Comes with a free plane ride home if needed. We all have it.

As far as a gun I have kind of decided on a JBL SUPER CARBINE, I found a store on my way down that has them for $90.00

Spearo's have a saying, "It's not the Arrow, it's the Indian". You can have a $1500 gun and not hit anything after 25 try's. Your $90 gun could land you an 18 pound grouper with one single shot. There's more expensive guns, but for a beginning gun, it will kill fish if you can hit them.

I intend to do mostly shallow water spearfishing

If 80 feet deep is shallow you'll be good. Spearing in Marathon to be legal, you must be 3 miles out from the farthest out cropping (including islands) of land to spear. That is going to put you pretty deep. If you try to freedive it, those depths can be dangerous for shallow water black out.

and am pretty much interested in shooting anything that we legally can.
Fishing licenses are available at most good stores, as well as a chart to what can be shot and what can not be spearfished. Remember that hook and line limits are different than spearing limits. You can visit Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission for the latest easy to print charts for fish and the rules for them. It would stink to get a nice fish just to have a $300 citation go along with it.

I have reserved 20' Cobia CC with a 130hp 2 stroke Yamaha, it has livewell, fishfinder, GPS etc. It is $155/day for 3 days + Gas from Captain Pips Marina in Marathon

That's a great deal,,,,Nice snag! Use the bottom finder!

Like I said it is a 20' Cobia CC with a 130hp 2 stroke Yamaha.

This is a rough scenerio that we do and maybe you can multiply it out for your daily trip. Pretty much a same boat configuration. We'll run about 3 miles out and then 4-5 miles turning south to hit our hunting areas at an average speed of 20 knots. It takes about 30 minutes to get there from the time we put in at the inlet. Then we do 2 tanks of drift dives covering about 1-2 miles per drift with the motor idling or slow trolling to follow the divers below. Then reset for the next dives and finally to throttle back home to the inlet ramp. Typically we burn 15 to 17 gallons of gas during this average day. Ramp gas is at $3.25 per gallon in popular places. If you haul your own, you can find gas on the street at 2.20 or so. That's about the best estimates that I can give you.

I am very interested in finding some wrecks/reefs that we can dive/fish.

Go to Diver's Direct in Key Largo and purchase "Ned DeLoach's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida". It's about $15 and will give you maps, gps numbers and reviews of many popular dive sites down there. But again, make sure they are legal and you are safe.

I am not sure what the weather is going to be like but if it is not too much in fuel and conditions allow I am willing to go 10-15 miles offshore.

Don't think you'll need to go that far off shore and I'll doubt you'll have the proper tackle on board for a sailfish, etc. Lots of good stuff just 3-5 miles offshore, it gets deep fast in the keys. For weather, I hope you have a laptop with you guys, book mark this link and watch it every day. NEVER rely on the NOAA text link, it is always wrong.

WAVEWATCH III Product Viewer

..so getting some numbers would be awesome.

Public numbers are easy to get. I'd rather give you my wallet of credit cards than my GPS. I can cancel my credit card number.

Thanks again,
James

Just trying to help out a fellow spearo. But to give back a little, could you write up a short vacation report and toss in a picture to let everyone else know if your trip was a great time? Doesn't have to be a novel or anything, just post a picture and tell us about it.

Have a blast on your vacation!!

If you haven't been there, recommend you visit Spearboard Spearfishing Community - Powered by vBulletin

Its a matter of safety.

For example, one rule I can think of right off the bat is never have all of you unass the boat simultaneously. Go in first two, then second two. Divers have gotten caught in current when all went off simultaneously, and they wound up downstream of the boat where none of them were able to make it back to the boat. There are a number of threads from Spearboard in the SB archives where divers were lost...just swept away and never found. It would be prudent to review a few of these threads - more than one offer some useful lessons learned. SMBs, signal mirrors, surface floats, whatever - failing to plan is planning to fail, in the event someone has issues out there.

Here's one selected at random that was cross-posted on SB:
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=52413&highlight=lost+diver+Florida+search

Sounds like you're asking the right questions.

Dive safe,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom