Not sure about the whole dork thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I mean my instructor said that diving was supposed to be 'fun', whatever that is, but he was...y'know...a NAUI guy. I figured it was all part of the plot to undertrain me.

You guys actually have fun diving? Can you do that up here on the east coast too? Does it require separate certification?

Thanks,

Perplexed

Hey Wrybosome!

Dork diving can happen anytime, anywhere a diver decides to have fun. So, sure, you can be a dork diver on the east coast.

And in my experience, those NAUI guys ARE pretty fun. I just finished a winter scuba skills workshop with our local NAUI dive shop and it was hilarious. Last night was game night and along with scuba relays and underwater charades, we worked in teams to blow up balloons at the bottom of the pool to see who could get the biggest one. After the first breath, it was an all out effort by the team to keep the inflating balloon and ourselves submerged with divers piled on top of each other. We were laughing all the way home!

Hey Wrybosome!

Dork diving can happen anytime, anywhere a diver decides to have fun. So, sure, you can be a dork diver on the east coast.

And in my experience, those NAUI guys ARE pretty fun. I just finished a winter scuba skills workshop with our local NAUI dive shop and it was hilarious.

I'll try to have some of this 'fun' then. Are charades a typical winter skill? I have only dived in the summer. I can do charades though. Also good at pile-ons.

I'll try to have some of this 'fun' then. Are charades a typical winter skill? I have only dived in the summer. I can do charades though. Also good at pile-ons.

As long as they are done underwater, should be big fun. Although I'd suggest discussing a pile-on with your buddy first, especially if he carries a Mike Nelson style dive knife. I'd hate for you to be mistaken for a giant squid.

As a card-carrying DD and one of the aforementioned NAUI guys, I think I'll have to come down on the side of having fun. :biggrin:

If anyone tells you it's a nefarious plot to make people enjoy diving more so they'll spend more on gear and dive trips and classes and all, just ignore them. It's barely the slightest bit nefarious at all, and even if it were, who gives a hoot? ;) It's fun! :D

Seriously, though... oh, who am I kidding? Serious? Me? :D (Actually, I'm quite serious on health and safety matters, but once those are taken care of, let the games begin! :))

Actually, I just watched an excellent TED Talk this week: "Why play is vital -- no matter your age" by Stuart Brown. I couldn't help but think of us DDs. Apparently, we're the well-balanced ones! :D

As a card-carrying DD and one of the aforementioned NAUI guys, I think I'll have to come down on the side of having fun. :biggrin: (Actually, I'm quite serious on health and safety matters, but once those are taken care of, let the games begin!)
Dittos!

Back
Top Bottom