Any Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishmafia

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in Shreveport Louisiana and would like to go diving this summer. Since my wife doesn't dive and since she made the mistake of saying I could go on a dive trip ALONE, I was looking at driving down to Pensacola and getting a couple of days and possibly a couple of night dives in.

My question is basically this, who should I look into going with. By that I mean what dive shop would some you folks recommend. I am sure that some of you have had experiences both good and bad with some shops in the area. I really don't have a desire to do the "Big O" at this time, but would love to see big fish, sharks and their likes.

A little background on me I have 16 dives including 8 ocean dives. I am Level I through SSI and have all my equipment except tanks, which I can rent through my dive shop 'SCUBA VENTURES" here in Shreveport Louisiana.

I would like to do the trip in June say around the 10th but that could change based on whether or not I get hired by the Shreveport Police Department.

Any and all help you fine folks could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Randy Patrick

In Pensacola... You can just call MBT Divers, tell them your experience level and they can set you up on an easy inshore trip through one of the many charters they use. Dive Pros can do the same thing for you.

There may be a few shore dives available to you by this summer as well. Fort Pickens Jetties should be opened up and Pensacola Beach Reef might be uncovered enough to make for a good dive.

irishmafia,

Call us and we can help you sort out options, shore vs. boat; one shop vs. the other, etc. Bottom line is, there are great operators in Pensacola for whatever you need. We can help you get set up for gear, fills, shore dives or boat dives. The charter boats work cooperatively to make sure you get a spot and the shops will take care of you to be sure you have what you need. We can help you sort out hotel options and even suggest a good place to eat. If you've got your own gear, no problem. We can arrange fills and rentals for what you don't have. Call us.

Capt. Jim
Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

I live in Louisiana and dive in Pensacola often and I would give MBT a call 850 455 7702. I would stay clear of Scuba Shack unless you wait and book the boat ride after you get in Pensacola. I signed up for a trip drove to FL. got to the shop and only then was told they didn't have enough people to make a trip that day. They had my home and cellphone number and knew I was coming from out of town ............I never got a call. I am sure that many others have had great times diving on the Wet Dream (scuba shack's boat), but 250 miles is to far for me to drive for a blank trip.

might want to rent your tanks locally. many shops are open extended hours in the summer, and on Sundays, plus that's 90 extra pounds of weight for you to buy gas for to and fro.....

ft. pickens is a good place to start for day and night dives (but dive on an incoming tide)

Back
Top Bottom