S FL Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikel

Reaction score
I want to take PADI DM (in S. Florida) class with school that can do it during a specific period I have available. Divers Unlimited seems to have appropriate facilities, and I liked the teacher I met, etc. Can anyone provide a reference for them or other comment- I don't know how else to get recommendation as any school I would ask would, obviously, want me to use them. If you have something you'd rather not post for any reason including rec for other schools (I'm open to a good sales pitch if you're a school) pls email me at seaquest001@yahoo.com Thanks in advance- it's a lot of money to spend w/o knowing if a school is acceptable.

I was once on one of Divers Unlimited boats. On this particular day, they had an assigned DM on the boat along with at least 3 other DM's along for the ride getting in some diving.

I wasn't paying much attention to anyone other than my buddies when Ana asked me if that guy on the port side was OK. I looked up to see Tony, the assigned DM talking to him. Being the nosey chap I am, I headed in that direction as I couldn't hear anything over the noise of the engine. As I approached, Tony backed away. I asked Tony if the diver needed any help. Tony's reply, "He's OK."

I hadn't talked to the fellow, so I figured Tony knew more about the situation than me, so I sat back down and reported, "Tony says he's OK."

About that time, the engine slowed way down and the captain (who arrived at the boat over an hour after our scheduled departure time) came down from the bridge, "Who has the problem?"

Port diver, "I do."

"What's wrong?"

"I can't move my right leg."

"You're bent."

"But my computer says I'm OK."

The captain assured him he was bent and turned to head back to the bridge.

My buddies & I were almost in shock that none of the crew was doing anything.

Ana shouted, "Give him oxygen!"

The captain turned and gave her a nasty look, then said, "Oh yeah, give him ozxygen."

The DM's then started tripping over themselves digging out the O2. Once they had it, they weren't able to turn it on, the valve was rusted shut. Tools, one of them thought to get some tools. DM Barbie was kneeling to steady the O2 tank in 3 ft seas while the DM Mutt was digging through the tool case for a wrench that DM Jeff was holding over the first DM's head.

Now, this diver getting bent was not the fault of Divers Unlimited. OTOH, their reaction to the suituation is telling.

I can not recommend this outfit for any training at any level.

Ummm, well, moving along- ideas for schools?

But still, if there is any other feeback about them I'd like to hear it.

Prodive has nice promotions for itself but it's- compared to others I checked, expensive.

Anyway- thank you for your response.

Can't speak about DM but I just finished my AOW with Horizon Divers in Key Largo and have been diving with them frequently this spring and I just can't say enough about this group. Nice training facility and great diving. Besides they treat you with respect. I'd check them out they are about MM100 right next to the Ramada Inn. Good luck.

Bob

Bob, thank you for your response. Being in Miami area it will be too far but will certainly consider for fun diving when down that way. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom