Potential dive spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulB

Contributor
Reaction score
A guy I know owns 60 acres in Florida. He dug out 4 or 5 lakes and they range from about 35-65 feet. The water is so clear, there is no mud and the water temperature isn't warm but it's not as cold as a normal spring. There is also some great sized bass and other fish in there as well.

I couldn't beleive it when he said he wanted to sell the place!
I told him that what he could do is dig a couple of the lakes deeper, get all the proper paperwork and permits and set up a diving operation. I told him he could put in training docks and sink things (properly cleaned and treated of course) in the lakes for people to check out while diving. He could either start is own dive shop or charge one to set up there. He could rent out canoes and such for people that don't dive.

The man could make so much money and have a great, clean, safe place for people to go and dive. He wouldn't hear of it though.

I'm thinking of buying the place myself and doing it. It's only $340,000. I know..that's a lot, but in the end I think it would be worth it, plus I could get some people to go in on it with me and form a partnership and all that happy crap.

If you build it, they will come.

Not always. I know a lot of divers and sometimes they like to get into FW. Look at Ginnie Springs, and the Grotto that I go to gets a lot of diving.
I know a lot of women..and men..that refuse to dive in SW. And yes, they live in Florida.

sounds like a cool plan...! unfortunately I'm too far away... who knows I may go to Florida one day to check it out too! :)

I see in your profile you're a firefighter... do you guys do scuba diving there as well as part of the job?

Over here (the Netherlands), in some areas firefighters must be able to scuba dive as well because we have so much water around. Usually they go to a nearby lake to practice. Your plan sound like a great spot for such purposes too... you could dump a wreck somewhere in the middle and hide a "victim" somewhere... lol.. I'm getting excited :) Keep us posted about your plans!

watersprite

I see in your profile you're a firefighter... do you guys do scuba diving there as well as part of the job

We do have scuba diving as spec. training. I don't do it though. All it pretty much is is body recovery. I don't need to associate that with diving. It would take all the fun out of it.

There aren't any alligators, are there?

No, there aren't any alligators. The entire property is fully fenced. It would be dang near impossible for them to get in. I've been diving there for years and I've never seen one.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
There aren't any alligators, are there? :wacko:

Don't be scared of alligators. There are some in the springs that I cave dive in. They usually exit the water when the divers enter, I don't think they like the bubbles. Plus I have heard that gators can't dive deeper than 20' cuz the pressure is too great and they can't clear their ears.

Wendy once bubbled...

Don't be scared of alligators. There are some in the springs that I cave dive in. They usually exit the water when the divers enter, I don't think they like the bubbles. Plus I have heard that gators can't dive deeper than 20' cuz the pressure is too great and they can't clear their ears.

with a snoz like that, no wonder alligators can't pinch their nose and clear their ears

I still can't believe he doesn't like the idea. It was perfect when we went diving there!

The "lakes" are littered with huge sharks teeth and arrow heads. Gives you something to do while diving :) The viz is great too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom