Back in the saddle again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingpatzer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While I doubt I'm much remembered, well over a year ago I had a bad accident that resulted in trauma induced epilepsy.

This week my neurologist cleared me to dive again.

Woo Hoo!

That's wonderful, Kingpatzer! I remember you writing about the accident, and I'm glad the seizures, as often happens, were temporary.

Yeah, it's amazing how long it's seemed. Some of the hardest aspects of the whole bit was that it was just too depressing to hang out at the scuba shop or around my scuba friends . . . as the conversation would always turn to diving.

Being able to resume diving is more than just the diving itself, it's an end to an awkwardness that crept into quite a few friendships as the very thing that brought us together as friends became something that separated us.

I just have to remember I haven't been in the water in a while. I'm going to be spending the next couple of weeks swimming around the pool at the local LDS getting re-acquainted with my gear while waiting for the water to warm up. I have a dry suit, but don't want to jump right back into dry suit diving before I make double sure my skills are still there.

My hope is though that by summer or so I'll be back out on Superior looking at the wrecks.

Good to hear----sounds like it's time to get wet....

I remember you because I always wondered what your user name meant, or referred to.

Glad to hear that you're healthy again and can get back to diving. Cheers!

I remember you because I always wondered what your user name meant, or referred to.

It refers to chess. "Patzer" is a term of derision applied to someone seen as a hopeless amateur with no real understanding of the game. It's usually used by a low-ranked expert (not a master or grand master) who is an equally hapless amateur with no understanding of the game and significant ego issues.

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom