Straights of Mackinac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fitzdog

Reaction score
Does anyone know, or know where I can get, the GPS coordinates for the Straights of Mackinac wreck? I know it is about 4 miles off Navy Pier in Chicago, but......
Thanks,
Fitzdog

Fitzdog once bubbled...
Does anyone know, or know where I can get, the GPS coordinates for the Straights of Mackinac wreck?

FYI.

----- Original Message -----
To: Vixyswillie
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: Straits of Mackinac Location?

Thanks for contacting us regarding the Straits of Mackinac. We are not releasing exact coordinates for the site until the remaining underwater work is completed and, unfortunately, this cannot be done until we have the money to pay for it. You can help by sending your tax-deductible contribution to the Tim Early Foundation - P.O. Box 803 in Tinley Park, IL 60477.

Dave Wetherald
Scuba Emporium
Tim Early Foundation

JCKCSYCMD once bubbled...
Is this wreck going to require a pre-paid permit to dive...

Not sure, but the inference seems to be that they'll release the coordinates after their project is paid for. There's a website about it here.

I was at the Orland Park SE shop last week - they are organizing dives on sundays all summer long. When I asked the lady weither they were advanced dive - she mentioned for $10 more they would dive the Straights. Considering the boat they use is based in Burnham Harbor (by soldier field) and the Straights in 4 miles east of Evanston (6-8 miles away) - I don't see this being any sort of fuel surcharge - but a automatic donation to the fund.

I completed my OW dives in Key Largo and found the medallion method they use for the Spiegel Grove and other artificial reefs a good approach. Maybe its too early - but this would be the most practical. That way you can contribute once a season - or lifetime. Perhaps it would even lead to ongoing efforts for additional wreck dive locations.

I have a new boat i was looking to do some diving near chicago, does anyone have any of the GPS coordinates to any of the
wrecks near chicago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom