Dive Report: Pensacola YDT's 30 Apr 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Received a call at 9:00 PM the night before for a 7:30 AM Charter on the Reel Easy, the deal was to good to pass up so I called the boss and coughed a few times and he said "Be safe". So I packed up my gear and the next morning was loading my gear on the Reel Easy. Now for those who have not dove the Reel Easy I have to say, WOW! Newton's Rock! :cool2: The Captain Buddy Rogers and the DM Scott HunSucker (SP?) both did a great job for us, including Hot dogs cooked on the Big Green Egg, and Fresh Watermellon. :popcorn: Thanks Guys!
Well we fianlly got under way after a bit of complaining from a diver who was told he had to leave the banannas he just bought on the dock, we headed out from Peg Leg Pete's and it wasn't long before we were headed toward the Pass. The DM Scott did a great job sharing some local history with the us on the way out which was very enojoyable. Once at the pass we found the 1-3 foot seas were amore like 4's but in this big old Newton it was hardly noticable.
The captain had run over some unknown wreck on the way out a couple of times and asked if we would bounce dive it as it appreared to be loaded with fish. His marker bouy was gone from a prior trip so so we dropped a buoy to dive where he thought it should be and 2 of us splashed with spearguns to see what we could find......We ended up findng nothing but sand. I did a big search pattern looking for it for 10 minutes but viz was bad and it was obvious by the drag marks that the bouy was moving pretty quick. I did see amazingly enough more of the near extinct Red snapper, but nothing else. So we got back on board and headed out to our final destination of the YDT's. We were there in short order and at 10:31 we splashed! On the Charter with me was Carlos Faught and Curtis from Bay Breeze Dive Center. I must admit that Carlos did a great job on his dives and it was a real treat seeing him underwater instead of behind a counter with my credit card in hand. :D
This was my first time at the YDT's and it was a real nice dive, we dove the SE YDT, not sure of the hull # on this one, if anyone knows I'd appreciate a post IDentifying it. We explored the wreck inside and out and I shot a nice trigger on the remains of my first tank on the first dive and just dove with my camera on the second. I saw what I can only guess was a yellow tang on the first dive while diving with my gun, which would have been a treat to photograph as it was the first encounter I've had with an all yellow fish in the gulf....Darn it!:depressed:
So the first dive on half a tank ended up being 21 minutes at a max depth of 101 feet with a min temp of 68*. The second dive was much of the same but this time with camera in hand and I snapped a few pictures below:
Second Dive:
99 Feet
34 Minutes
Viz 35 feet
Temp 68*

I have to note that these dives were the culmination of my biggest dive month ever with a total of 23 dives this month! That one will be hard to top!

P4303249.jpg

P4303258.jpg

P4303253.jpg

P4303244.jpg

P4303241.jpg

P4303239.jpg

P4303260.jpg

P4303254.jpg

P4303232.jpg

Great report MrXRay.

I didn't realize Scott was working on charter boats now.

Barry:

I want to say that is YDT-15. I dove the 14 last April, and it's wheelhouse was fully intact, complete with roof. There was also a large hole cut into the fore deck. Also, that's quite an accomplishment on your number of dives for the month. I'm currently battling a raging ear infection (damn fresh water diving) so I'm out of commission this weekend, and perhaps the next :depressed:

YDT 14:

YDT 14:

Dives went real well and it was great getting to finally dive with Barry in the Gulf, dudes a fish!

It was a great dive, looks like Hetland is right and we were on YDT-15. Sorry to hear about your ear Hetland. Probably from listening to me.

I'm currently battling a raging ear infection (damn fresh water diving) so I'm out of commission this weekend, and perhaps the next :depressed:

Alex

I too had a severe ear infection. I learned of a trick to mix 50/50 of 90% rubbing alcohol and white distilled vinegar in each ear for 5 minutes. This wiped out the infection. I was told to keep this in my dive bag and to use after each and every dive.

I'm thinking it was the fresh water. Saltwater never seems to bother me, but I'll certainly try the alcohol/vinegar mix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom