Solo- sometimes...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Kurt_

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive solo sometimes- scalloping in 7-9 feet of water, or when I can't get my regular buddy along midweek. That being said, I don't like to do it, but I try to be very conservative and stay shallow. Kurt=-)

This was posted in error. I meant to add it to the comments on solo diving (poll). Sorry. Kurt

That's happened to a few different people. I think the "post reply" button and "new thread" button should be on opposite side of the screen!

Last Monday I led a pair of fairly new, though well instructed divers. Though much of the dive what was going through my head was how it was a solo dive for me (although I could probably have counted on them in a pinch) and what I would do in an emergency. Everything turned out fine, but I have some personal questions I'm still working on.

I work an odd schedual and it's tough to find others that have the same days off and are willing to dive so I end up diving solo most of the time, all though there are other divers in the water I don't have an assigned buddy. I really don't see anything wrong with it provided you are well trained, dive often and have the correct, well maintained equipment. I always carry a completely redundent 40 cuft stage so I have plenty of gas if there is a problem. It's not for everyone and I wouldn't even try to talk anyone into doing it but if you feel comfortable with you're ability and equipment I don't see anything wrong with it.

Scott

divereh once bubbled...
You can drowned in 6 inches of water

And your point is? LOL

Scott

Might you be talking about scalloping near the Homosassa River?

I went there snorkeling last year for scallops. I had planned on bringing the dive gear this year, but I haven't decided how to handle the whole solo thing. Snorkeling, we went out on our own.....but diving, I think my girlfriend and I will stay relatively close.

Padipro once bubbled...
I work an odd schedual and it's tough to find others that have the same days off and are willing to dive so I end up diving solo most of the time, all though there are other divers in the water I don't have an assigned buddy. I really don't see anything wrong with it provided you are well trained, dive often and have the correct, well maintained equipment. I always carry a completely redundent 40 cuft stage so I have plenty of gas if there is a problem. It's not for everyone and I wouldn't even try to talk anyone into doing it but if you feel comfortable with you're ability and equipment I don't see anything wrong with it.

Scott

You make the prefect point. KNow your limits and abilities first and foremost then make the decision. I can't find people to go with half the time neither, so it's either dive alone or don't dive at all.

Back
Top Bottom