DAHAB - shore entry/exit difficulty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am considering doing a weeks diving in Dahab with my girlfriend. (having dived Sharm sites numerous times I want to try elsewhere). My concern is how difficult and dangerous are the shore entries here as my girlfrind is not as physically strong as myself. (Being knocked over by waves onto sharp coral doesn't appeal to me either). Also do the currents make getting back to the fixed exit points difficult.

Are you diving alone or with a guide?
If you're not familiar with the sites, dive with an experience guide. They will know the conditions and pick the best time to dive. There are a few that are better dived in high tide.

the blue hole has a bit of current but majority of known entry/exit points are very relaxing; just be sure to be as close as possible from shore upon exit.
Oh yes, do hire a guide as there is plenty to see there! have fun.

No worry about your girlfriend. I'm petite (5ft2) and really not strong and had never done any shore diving prior to going to Dahab last February, so was a bit anxious about that too.
Could'nt believe how easy it was. I never had to walk more than 50 ft with my gear on, there was no surge and very little current.

If it really bothers you, you can always chose a dive op that does boat dives (there's at least one in town, can't remember which one though), but shore diving was really not a big deal (at least in Dahab). The only tricky part for me was putting my fins on in the water, but the guide gave me a hand with that. Definitely wear neoprene shoes to enter the water because of the scorpion fish and ursins, and adjustable fins (easier to put on IMO). The dive shops in Dahab can rent you both if you don't own them.

Like el Magnoon said, some dives can only be done in high tide (Islands comes to mind). All the sites have signs showing the entry/exit points, but definitely go with a local guide, they know the area.

Enjoy your stay.

Entry and exit isn't a problem. Eel Gardens is about the only site where its actually dangerous and people wont dive there if its rough/windy to make it unsafe.

The southern dive sites are all very calm and sheltered all of the time so there is no issue. Islands is ok at low tide provided its not very windy and again, if it is too windy dive centres wont go there.

Canyon is probably the most difficult at low water if the sea is rough but its not that hard. Bells (to blue hole) can be "interesting" at low water.

As the taxis park within 50m of the site entry nearly all the time you rarely have to walk any distance to enter an exit wearing your kit. Bells is about the only exception where its about 150m from the blue hole to the entrance.

In short, don't worry about it. Its not really that physical and if conditions dictate dive centres will go to a site that is safe as opposed to still try to get people into one that isnt suitable.

You will be diving with a guide anyway (centres wont rent equipment to anyone for non guided diving) plus CDWS rules and so on.

Entry and exit isn't a problem. Eel Gardens is about the only site where its actually dangerous and people wont dive there if its rough/windy to make it unsafe.

Canyon is probably the most difficult at low water if the sea is rough but its not that hard. Bells (to blue hole) can be "interesting" at low water.

You will be diving with a guide anyway (centres wont rent equipment to anyone for non guided diving) plus CDWS rules and so on.

I would vote for sites like Abu Helal and the such (e.g. facing north, no lagoon shallow protection etc.) to to be the most difficult when there's a little surf & wind. However- most dive sites are almost like getting into a pool :)

What are the CDWS rules?

What are the CDWS rules?
have a SMB + whistle, no cutting tools, no gloves, dive with a guide and pay the deco chamber donation plus any national parks fees.

and lots of far smaller pointless ones such as minimum size compressor regardless of the size of your operation, a certain number of tanks of xx size regardless of the size of your operation and so on. CDWS paperwork for a dive centre runs to some 30 pages.

I am considering doing a weeks diving in Dahab with my girlfriend. (having dived Sharm sites numerous times I want to try elsewhere). My concern is how difficult and dangerous are the shore entries here as my girlfrind is not as physically strong as myself. (Being knocked over by waves onto sharp coral doesn't appeal to me either). Also do the currents make getting back to the fixed exit points difficult.
Shore entries are no problem. Have an experienced guide to ensure you get the best if the dive and avoid navigation hassle.

For more info about Dahab dive sites, visit SCUBA diving in Dahab; dive the Blue Hole and the Canyon, Sinai, Red Sea, Egypt

no cutting tools, no gloves

Really? Didn't know that. How strange...

That is, I have noticed that even though vast areas are declared at different levels of "Nature Reserves", there are still lots and lots of places where there are either active fishermen or residuals from old past fishing lines and nets. Actually many liveaboard boats also practice fishing whenever they can...

Wouldn't think of diving with a line cutting tool and I think it is wrong to ask divers anywhere go without a cutting tool- It doesn't have to be a Rambo huge knife: a pair of scissors or a small simple knife will do the job when really needed.

As to the gloves- I guess the rational is the same "No cutting tool/gloves == less damage to reef", a disputable argument which I neither agree nor see the point of arguing about it, but it reminds me of an old joke:

A couple went on vacation to a fishing resort near a national park. The husband liked to fish at the crack of dawn; the wife preferred to read. One morning the husband returned after several hours of fishing and decided to take a short nap. The wife decided to take the boat out. She was not familiar with the lake. She rowed out, anchored the boat, and started reading her book. Along comes the park ranger in his boat, pulls up alongside and says, "Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing? "Reading my book," she replies as she thinks to herself, 'is this guy blind, or what?' "You're in a no-fishing area," he informs her. "But, Officer, I'm not fishing. Can't you see that?" "But you have all this equipment, Ma'am. I'll have to take you in and charge you." "If you do that I will charge you with rape," snaps the irate woman. "I didn't even touch you," grouses the ranger. "Yes, that's true... but you have all the equipment."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom