Advice For New Instructors in The Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rummy24

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

Was just wondering if anyone had some friendly advice for working in the Red Sea as a freelance Instructor. I'm looking to stay busy and have fun with the job like everyone else. Any suggestions are valued and welcomed. Getting rich isn't my main concern, but gaining experence and representing myself well is.

I know I'm showing up a little late for the start of the season (mid May), so I don't really want to waste to much time. I have already heard about a CDWS card that I need to have to work in Egypt. News like this is invalueable and so helpful. Don't really know wheather Sharm or Dahab would be better for freelancing. Thanks again guys!

:D

CDWS is a complete nightmare. Dive centres hate it, it has absolutely no benefit to safety and diving in Egypt and most people suspect it'll be gone in a year or so after the election (its the baby of one of the ministers who has vested interests in large dive companies).
However you do have to get it. This involves finding a dive centre who are prepared to "sponsor" you by signing a CDWS form (the centre has to be a CDWS member for this and they are ruthlessly closing down non member centres in sharm and dahab). You then have to go to sharm, sit a pointlessly easy exam, pay 50 LE then return to sharm 15+ days later to collect it.

As for freelancing, im currently doing it in Dahab, just get some business cards printed, go round the centres and talk to the owners and get yourself a local phone. There will be work without any problem in both places.

You wont get rich. If you're lucky you might get even. 1 guided dive pays about €10 so budget to survive on about €20 a day assuming regular work.

You also need to learn the sites so on arrival either pay to go diving or ask a dive centre if you can follow them to learn the sites maybe in return for assisting them with something. There aren't too many sites and most are simple once you know the entry and exit points. Only Islands springs to mind as a bit tricky to navigate in Dahab. Centres wont employ guides who don't know the sites. Get yourself a copy of "Sinai Diving Guide, Volume 1" - this book is fantastic for reference of all the Sinai dive sites with descriptions, maps and so on. Invaluable when starting out. It costs 140 LE here.

Just dived Canyon and Blue Hole and 1 x night dive left for today. Its hot, sunny and i need a day off!

Last edited:
Thanks String, I really appreciate the info. It always helps to be told what to expect and what to do.

Forgot to add, in the first 30 days you'll need to go to El Tor (about 3hrs from Dahab) to get your 12 month visa (costs 152.25 LE). Also remember like everyone else you'll be technically working illegally without a work permit.

If you've got any other questions feel free to PM me if i dont see it here.

CDWS is a complete nightmare. Dive centres hate it, it has absolutely no benefit to safety and diving in Egypt and most people suspect it'll be gone in a year or so after the election (its the baby of one of the ministers who has vested interests in large dive companies).
Can't agree more!

Hi

Just wondering if anyone had details and advise on the CDWS exam ?

cheers

35 (?) questions, multiple choice of a standard lower than even open water level. Impossible to fail if youre a qualified diver. Nothing site specific at all. The old one asked would you ride on the back of turtles.

Another one off current exam is:

"What is a coral reef?"

a. a useless lump of rock
b. of no biological significance
c. an essential part of the marine ecosystem

That should show you how ridiculous the questions are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom