Questions on a farallon mk7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just purchased a used mk7. I am new dpv's. None of the people I dive with have been on one. But what my question is. Before i charge it up and head to the lake are there things to double check or to look for. I have gone threw farallons manual and really the thing they seem to stress is no to run it out of the water. This is also a thing I don't know if the first owner did. Another thing is extra set of batteries. Do they make a newer battery that is better than what it came with stock? And if the are were can I purchase them? Also is the farallon company good to deal with when it come to extra seals and o-rings or what ever?
This mk7 is still in transit but I'm chomping at the bit to go and I want my first time with a dpv to go good. Thanks for any help.......

Are you the person who won the MK7 on ebay recently? If so, congratulations and you have no idea how close you came to losing out (to me). ;-)

The Farallon line of DPVs are rock solid performers that have been around forever. Yours is a newer model, being intended to "ride on" as opposed to being pulled. Hopefully the last user sent the metal "seat" that slides into the propeller shroud.

These DPVs are designed to go deep, being constructed out of aluminum. They weigh quite a bit which is why so many people overlook them these days.

With regards to your question on service, just keep an eye on the o-ring seals between the two halves of the MK7. Make sure there are no nicks or tears on them. As for spares, they are not common on the retail SCUBA market but do turn up from time to time on e-bay. The current Farallon company is based in Canada and is not the same company that made the older series (MK1-5). I've never had to contact them myself but I have read other comments ranging from helpful to never called back. Your results may vary.

Finally, the batteries can be replaced but are usually of the motorcycle variety. If you decide to "upgrade" your batteries, it is best to find similar sized and weight batteries to keep the buoyancy / operational characteristics of the MK7 similar.

I'll be happy to answer more questions if you like via p-mail or posting here. Good luck and enjoy that great DPV!

Regards,
Ltstanfo
Farallon MK2, MK3

Sorry for the late reply. But yes I think we were looking at the same one. But now for the bad news. I received the dpv charged it up and off to the lake. It will not go. Well e-mailed them back and they swear that they just ran it the weekend before. OK so I started looking at it and checking the voltage's and it seems fine. I separated the two half's and used some jumper wires to check the switch ok. The first few times I bypassed the switch I could here the relay clicking. But now nothing. Now I have been called off to work and will not be back to July sometime. When I get back I am going to tear into it. I have called farallon and it is a working number.
I know it's hard to give advise not seeing it and all. But any ideas will help. It doesn't appear to be a complicated machine. But I might be wrong. Even sticking a little money into it I will still be ahead. It appears to be well built.

Thanks for your response
And any help with this dpv

Pipelineextreme

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the MK7. It is a serious DPV (if not a bit heavy) meant for serious use. You are correct that it is not a complicated machine. There are electronics on the backside of the rear bulkhead (same side as motor) and it is possible that there is either a short/defective component or the rear shaft seal may be leaking (presuming that your other searches reveal nothing). You may also want to check the trigger linkage (handle trigger). I'll help if I can. I'll be around in July. :)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

HI I bought a MK 8 and I can't get parts ( rear seals o rings ect. ) Called Farallon and they were
there but I cant get parts!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking for parts o rings, rear seals, for MK8 ANY HELP OUT THERE?

THANKS SUNSPOT11

Hi

The rear mechanical spring PAC shaft seal on the Farallon line of scooters and many other types sold on the market can be purchased directly from the US manufacturer they are not a Farallon exclusive item. The 0-rings also are just a standard 0-ring that you should be able to purchase at any well stocked 0-ring/seal suppler check your area.

I just spoke with Kim Martin at Farallon and he says they have been going through some changes but are still in business. He also said that they are working on updating the website for online parts ordering. He also steered me toward www.dvprepair.com out of Florida for repair work, he said they have always been bang on. Hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom